Is this another scam? Or is it real?

• New Members

Saw this on online and for the life of me, I think it is a scam.  I am not an expert, and even less than a rookie but it just looks strange.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks Jim

3.56LB Rare! Natural Tentacle Ammonite FossilSpecimen Shell Healing Madagascar

Your intuition is correct. This looks carved, for one, and the aperture of the shell is... interesting. Maybe they were trying to create tentacles? Obviously this wouldn't be how such preservation would occur, we can just leave it at that.

• I Agree 2

It's definitely been carved enough that it's hard to tell if it ever was originally a real fossil. It sort of looks like there's the suture patterns of an original ammonite, but I would stay away from this if you're looking for something authentic.

• I Agree 1

• New Members

They are starting to add the tentacles, which are not real.  However, some of them look quite good,  What bothers me the most is the row of teeth/spikes running down the outside of the conch or shell.  Never saw any like that.  The only thing close that I have seen are individual spikes sticking straight up. eg. double euaspidoceras 

Broken link :s_cry:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Seems to me this one belongs in the "Is it real?"-forum, for clearly it is not. Even the chambers of the shell are carved! To me this looks like it may have been a slab of fossil wood - which would give you some nice silica colours, may be even some patterns that superficially look like suture-lines - carved to look like a cross-over between Pokémon's Omastar and Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog! :heartylaugh:

Obviously this is done to appeal to the unwitting tourist who just wants a cool-looking fossil to decorate their home with. And what's cooler than Sonic (except for may be Mario)? :BigSmile:

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

20 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Seems to me this one belongs in the "Is it real?"-forum, for clearly it is not. Even the chambers of the shell are carved! To me this looks like it may have been a slab of fossil wood - which would give you some nice silica colours, may be even some patterns that superficially look like suture-lines - carved to look like a cross-over between Pokémon's Omastar and Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog! :heartylaugh:

Obviously this is done to appeal to the unwitting tourist who just wants a cool-looking fossil to decorate their home with. And what's cooler than Sonic (except for may be Mario)? :BigSmile:

You're right, it does look like Omastar!!! That's great! 

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Tons of this type of carving have been available on the market for a number of years now. Most of them use original, probably second class ammonites, as a basis. Some of them are quite impressive actually, if you're just looking for a nice piece of art as a conversation piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/