North East FL

Florida Larry

• New Members

Hey everyone, I'm Larry. I'm introducing myself as a new member in NE Florida. I have a few years experience digging all around Florida and have always used the forum as a resource so I'd like to now add what I can to this resource tool for others. I AM BY NO MEANS an expert, in fact, I have much to learn. Though, I feel competent enough now to be part of this forum. Would love to connect with anyone in the area or FL.

Hitting the Peace this Thursday if anyone has an update on how the river is flowing. I was over in Hillsborough last weekend and scored some nice finds and the river was about perfect. 

BTW IF A MOD can help change my Display name. I realize this name has been taken from a senior member in my area. 

Edited by bonedaddy

Welcome to the Forum, Larry.  ;) 

Looking forward to seeing your finds. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome from Colorado

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, bonedaddy said:

Hitting the Peace this Thursday if anyone has an update on how the river is flowing. I was over in Hillsborough last weekend and scored some nice finds and the river was about perfect. 

It is really pretty easy.  Pick and USGS (water depth) location on the Peace River,  and over time , get familiar with the depth on those days you hunt. 

EXAMPLE: Zolfo Springs is good any where over 5 feet up to 6.5 feet. Over those depths, it gets more and more dangerous.  Fast currents and deep water.

This chart is accurate for the last hour and reflects recent rain.  Depth is over 9 feet right now and at that depth, you are risking your life to find those fossils. It might get better by Thursday but also might not...

Zolfo930pmApr20th.JPG.52fe01b4bf34ad6dc31b14f7a92890cb.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Florida Larry said:

BTW IF A MOD can help change my Display name. I realize this name has been taken from a senior member in my area. 

Changed...please let us know if you prefer something else.  Welcome to The Forum.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• New Members
8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Changed...please let us know if you prefer something else.  Welcome to The Forum.

That's about perfect. Thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

Welcome to TFF Larry.  @Shellseeker is spot on with the water depth recommendations for the Peace River.  I have learned to check the USGS depths/flow at Zolfo Springs and Paynes Creek to decide on making the trip to the river or not.  I keep a log of the depths/flow on the days I hunt along with a list of finds and comments on water clarity.  This has helped tremendously to keep my hunting trips safe and successful.

Jim W.

• New Members
12 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

It is really pretty easy.  Pick and USGS (water depth) location on the Peace River,  and over time , get familiar with the depth on those days you hunt. 

EXAMPLE: Zolfo Springs is good any where over 5 feet up to 6.5 feet. Over those depths, it gets more and more dangerous.  Fast currents and deep water.

This chart is accurate for the last hour and reflects recent rain.  Depth is over 9 feet right now and at that depth, you are risking your life to find those fossils. It might get better by Thursday but also might not...

Zolfo930pmApr20th.JPG.52fe01b4bf34ad6dc31b14f7a92890cb.JPG

Thanks Shellseeker, 

This is the insight I was looking for. I've used your posts in the past and it's great to hear from you. I use these charts pretty much every time I hit the rivers but to be honest, I'm not the best at evaluating them in reference to what the river is doing on that day it's all based off an educated guess. Basically, I've not recorded the data during my unpatterend trips to the Peace/ Surrounding creeks which is why I appreciate the help. I'll start snapping a pic and charting my trips out with the USGS charts. I'll be hitting Bowling Green if the river is at an adequate level....if not I'll head back to last weekends honey hole 

• New Members
3 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Welcome to TFF Larry.  @Shellseeker is spot on with the water depth recommendations for the Peace River.  I have learned to check the USGS depths/flow at Zolfo Springs and Paynes Creek to decide on making the trip to the river or not.  I keep a log of the depths/flow on the days I hunt along with a list of finds and comments on water clarity.  This has helped tremendously to keep my hunting trips safe and successful.

Jim W.

Thanks for the input. Too funny about your statement.... I was literally typing out in my reply that I'm going to start doing exactly that!

On 4/21/2021 at 1:35 AM, Florida Larry said:

Here's my haul from last weekend. 

20210417_190931.jpg

Wowee, that's a lot of teefies! Welcome from England!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.