Hello! I am Miguel from Florida

MiguelM

Hello all, I am very excited to join this forum.

My name is Miguel, I am originally from Colombia although I am living in Florida right now. I work at the National Museum of Natural History in DC, and had to move back to FL because of the pandemic. Some friends from the Florida Wildlife Research Institute introduced me to fossiling here and I cannot get enough. So far my favorite pieces from the Peace River are an Otodus megalodon tooth and several glyptodont dermal plates!

Throughout this pandemic I've had to create my own little lab at home which has been evolving little by little. I bought an old stereo microscope may last year, and this led to me not stopping buying them (I think I have a problem now... haha); I think that I have around 30 and I am just fixing them and restoring them. I was very excited to hear that there is some people looking for microfossils, which is something have been dabbling into, so keep and eye out for me crashing that topic sometime.

I hope to learn a lot from you and hopefully help spread the word about the engaging field of paleontology.

Miguel Montalvo

NZ7_4835.jpg

NZ7_4851.jpg

NZ7_5636.jpg

Edited by MiguelM
  • Enjoyed 3

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello, Miguel, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

:Welcome-crab:

Welcome, Miguel. I'm looking forward to seeing more photographs as nice as the ones you posted.

Mike

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you've got some serious kit to help!

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Welcome from Colorado

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hi Miguel and welcome from Austin, Tx.  You certainly live in a great state for fossils and, yes microfossils as well.  One of our leading members and a fellow Floridian is very much into micros as well.  I'm sure he'll be chiming in soon.  Right, @digit?

• Thank You 1

Micro-fossils?!?!? Did someone say micro-fossils? :P

Headed off to the Peace River tomorrow for likely the last opportunity this season--summer rains coming soon....

I'll drop you a PM and we can chat on the forum or I can talk your ear off on the phone. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1