Can someone tell me what kind of sea creature this might have been?

Brad1978

Hello folks.  I'm new here but I used to be a member about 5 years ago but wasn't really active so I just started a new account.  I have this rock here I found on the Dry Frio River here in Texas.  The shape is strangely symmetrical and it's silica of some kind which is what organic matter turns into over a period of millions of years if the conditions are right.  Does this shape look familiar to anybody?  It has the shape of a all sting ray or something similar.  The curvature on the top is also symmetrical.  I've tried sanding the petina off it but it hardly worked.

IMG_20211116_134445_149~2.jpg

IMG_20211116_141327_092~2.jpg

Edited by Brad1978
Front view of rock

Sorry, I'm not seeing any bone or fossil structure. Looks like just a suggestive shaped rock.

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Very well could be just a rock but if you were to see it in person you'd see why I had my suspicion.  The Dry Frio has tons of dead sea life amongst it's rocks.  Mainly echinoids, rudists and several different species of mollusks.  Some may not have been identified yet.  The sea urchin that I found got verified on here but it was one that had been found already.  I have other specimens that I'm unsure of.  Can I post pictures of them separately or do they all need to be under this particular topic I made?

47 minutes ago, Brad1978 said:

I have other specimens that I'm unsure of.  Can I post pictures of them separately or do they all need to be under this particular topic I made?

Yes certainly, but please post them separately as JohnJ has suggested. I would also like to ask you to please make sure that your photos are better quality (more sharply focussed) than these.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'll try to get better photos.  Using my smartphone for this but maybe if I find the right lighting I can get some better ones.