Dinosaur Teeth, Crocodile Skulls & Various others

Ebert Gebert

• New Members

Hello FossilForum, any help in identifying these pieces I have included would be greatly appreciated! I believe these are various types of teeth and jaw pieces and some entire skulls included. I have numerous crocodile skulls I believe. Thanks for looking and any info or help! 

TURTLE SHELL? 

image.thumb.jpg.62a10cba182158c83fc619e8cc7af418.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.63a207c7002a5ad249986f71689d6e43.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.baf78f655b2e2817dcabf00b00917e36.jpg

This is what I think is a chunk of a Turtle Shell.

SKULLS?

Front 
image.thumb.jpg.8d348b2931cecda2c792ccd639f7d923.jpg

Back
image.thumb.jpg.8e98cd4e7c6adce16753ef9834abda80.jpg
Skull #2

image.thumb.jpg.1790776e8b50712cd406a720ce755b3c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1a03df4bbb57079356828ef2f08e0692.jpg

TEETH:

image.thumb.jpg.d5bc97a928f8076349f7e37f6850107f.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to say it’s just rock, not a turtle. No trace of fossil. Besides, turtles have no teeth, they have horny beaks.

Coco
  • I Agree 7

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• New Members
2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Sorry to say it’s just rock, not a turtle. No trace of fossil. Besides, turtles have no teeth, they have horny beaks.

Coco

Hello Coco,

I don't know if you are trying to help but, I never said turtles have teeth in my post. It says Turtle Shell and then has 3 pictures. If you look at the first one closely it seems to have a beak on the front. 

Also the first 2 skull photos have a flat brow and occipital lobes with teeth in the bottom. I don't know if you two even looked at the photos but if you cannot tell i can include more. Besides I have all day and a bunch to show off.

Ok. So Coco misunderstood with the teeth, but that's probably because her English isn't the best. But she does know her fossils and in my opinion, she's right in saying that these are just rocks, as is caterpillar. There is no sign of bone substance on any of these stones. They just have interesting shapes which can easily be misinterpreted by the inexperienced. I would suggest you look up the meaning of pareidolia.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 7

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to TFF

I suggest you do an image search in your browser for "fossil turtle shell"/ "fossil turtle", "fossil skull" and "fossil tooth". Compare what you think you have to what they're supposed to look like.
You'll soon see how far apart these rocks are to real fossils. A skull for example, is not going o be a lump of rock in the general shape of a skull, you're going to see an actual skull! Or at least pieces of fossilised bone within the matrix.

"fossil tooth" is a vague image search but it will show you key characteristics or commonly found teeth.... root, texture, enamel, serrations (sometimes), shape etc, your rocks have none of that.

Don't feel deflated though, do some homework and check out if there are any fossil rich areas where you live. I'm sure if you can find the real deal you'll soon forget about these rocks and be hooked on finding more! 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

The geology of West Virginia is almost entirely Paleozoic in age, so too old for dinosaurs, crocodiles, or turtles. 

In addition, the lack of bone texture or morphological symmetry that would be diagnostic in determining these rocks as belonging to vertebrates is entirely lacking. Vertebrates (reptiles and amphibians from the late Paleozoic) are generally restricted to coal measures, and are quite rare.

If you could tell us which county these come from, we could help pinpoint the geologic period and that might direct your fossil collecting in what can be some very nice Paleozoic formations.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hey! I also live in WV. It’s a very fossil rich state in my experience but you’ll generally be disappointed if you’re looking for bones and the like. Many wonderful invertebrates though, trilobites and brachiopods and corals. Gotta agree with the other folks that you’ve got rocks there, but if you tell me the general ballpark of where you’re located in the state, I may be able to direct you to places nearby where you can find some fossils. Could at the very least recommend a good book that will tell you a bunch of public access sites around the state.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

None of these are fossils or skulls. Sorry.

Just interestingly shaped rocks.

• I Agree 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

These items show no skull or bone morphology, or texture. There is no enamel to indicate teeth.

These are all rocks.

Please take your items to a local museum or university and have a paleontologist look at them.

They will verify what we have already told you.

Topic is now Locked to avoid any further pile on.

Further discussion would not be productive.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me