NYC fossil shark tooth

Carl

Congratulations, Carl!  :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

woah, I had no idea NYC had teeth to be found. What age is this?

• Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

7 hours ago, Jared C said:

woah, I had no idea NYC had teeth to be found. What age is this?

Most likely Pleistocene. As young as it gets.

• I found this Informative 1

Is the beach ever renourished with pumped or hauled sand?

Congratulations!

Edited by Plax
additional comment

4 minutes ago, Plax said:

Is the beach ever renourished with pumped or hauled sand?

Congratulations!

I suspect the area in which I found it does not get replenished, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for that!

Congrats Carl. I had never seen one of those from a NYC beach. Thanks for sharing. 

• Enjoyed 1

I guess with 8 million people in the city somebody was bound to find it. :rolleyes: 

Congratulations!  Now you can start mining the sidewalks in the diamond district.

• Enjoyed 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Wondering if Scapanorhynchus couldn't be possible then if sand has ever been pumped onto the beach from off shore? this is an interesting topic!

21 hours ago, Plax said:

Wondering if Scapanorhynchus couldn't be possible then if sand has ever been pumped onto the beach from off shore? this is an interesting topic!

I seriously doubt it. I've only ever heard of the Pleistocene Gardner's Clay being offshore. There are exposures of Cretaceous on Long Island but they are far away on the opposite shore and only preserve plants. But there have been Cretaceous oysters pulled out of borings in Brooklyn so I'd never rule it out. I'm sticking with Pleistocene for now for this tooth because it requires the fewest extra qualifications.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

During most of the Pleistocene with sea level 100 meters or so lower than present, the offshore would have been a deep valley being filled by what was eroded by rivers on the south and west. Am guessing the Gardner's Clay was deposited during a warm interglacial phase? Not saying your tooth isn't Pleistocene. 

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, Plax said:

During most of the Pleistocene with sea level 100 meters or so lower than present, the offshore would have been a deep valley being filled by what was eroded by rivers on the south and west. Am guessing the Gardner's Clay was deposited during a warm interglacial phase? Not saying your tooth isn't Pleistocene. 

That's how I understand it. And I'll admit, I'm way better versed in the Bio half of Paleo than the Geo half.