DFW, Texas, near Dinosaur Valley, tooth of ?

TLL

• New Members

Hi. I’m new to the forum. I love rocks, shells, sticks, plants, anything to do with nature.  Would like to learn more about what kind of things I am finding when I see something unusual or interesting in the rocks I collect. We live near Dinosaur Valley State park, to the northeast, in the DFW area. This item I have is my profile picture. I can’t remember if my kids found it here or if we received it in a rock collection that was given to us. I have plenty more things I’d like IDed in future. Thank you for sharing your educated minds in this matter!

5B15F695-6395-459A-A22A-3A015970EEB9.thumb.jpeg.52f9aed948caf2ef2514423173f25684.jpeg

272BD229-7417-4F3D-BA83-0B295D4CAF89.jpeg

FC4E62D0-BEE9-4D6E-A994-ECC115CAB07E.jpeg

AA7B351E-4EDF-4C65-AD99-00BF790CBE6C.jpeg

B223E25D-CA48-4D59-86CC-4AD32A7D184C.jpeg

C56247EF-373B-4802-9A87-280F7A868D82.jpeg

620E0BAC-B94C-4DB3-8024-796A1F4E793B.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Welcome from Illinois. 

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 4/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, TLL said:

Hi. I’m new to the forum. I love rocks, shells, sticks, plants, anything to do with nature.  Would like to learn more about what kind of things I am finding when I see something unusual or interesting in the rocks I collect. We live near Dinosaur Valley State park, to the northeast, in the DFW area. This item I have is my profile picture. I can’t remember if my kids found it here or if we received it in a rock collection that was given to us. I have plenty more things I’d like IDed in future. Thank you for sharing your educated minds in this matter!

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.  If you are interested in fossils, you will like it here.

This is most likely a Horse tooth, but we may not be able to tell exactly which horse due to damage.

The Americas had horses long before the Spaniards brought them back in the last 1000 years. There were large horses, similar to today's size going back a couple of million years.  They are named Equus.

Before Equus, there were numerous different smaller horses down to the size of a medium large dog.  Here is a photo of one of those horses teeth. This horse lived in Florida and Texas about 5 million years ago.  Note the width of a tooth ... about 20mm. This photo is taken looking directly down on the chewing surface.

Maybe we could figure out if your tooth was Equus or before Equus.  but maybe not... Let's see what other TFF members say....

horseneohipparionupperRD.jpg.6ca352761b1b7470fa948ba84407e77e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members

Thank you so much! Looking forward to gaining more knowledge about the world around me. 

Welcome!

In your third single-item picture, you have a photo of the biting surface, which is what is generally most useful in making an ID.  Due to condition, it may not have enough detail to ID it further than 'horse', but clearer, head-on, pictures of that view (without shadows) could be helpful.  The picture that @Shellseeker posted is a great example of a clear photo of the biting surfaces.

• Thank You 1