Per Christian

Here is a spinosaurus claw for sale on an auction site. I can't see any major red flags except for some small repairs, but i don't know. What do people here think? It's 10 cm long 

Screenshot_20220821-080707.png   Screenshot_20220821-080715.png

Screenshot_20220821-080724.png   Screenshot_20220821-080731.png

Screenshot_20220821-080741.png  

These photos are not very good to look at a claw especially from Morocco, difficult to see resto or repairs with all the color and texture variations.  I do need to see the entire claw to properly assess if any work has been done  (articulation end, dorsal view and other side).  Also like to see a better photo of the dorsal side of tip

Red Flags on sides I can see:

I have no idea what the red circled area is, appears added.  The proximal end of a Spinosaurid foot claw should not have a lip.   The white and green area looks like fill, has a different color and texture than the adjacent surfaces.  Again cannot confirm with these low resolution photos. 

1661076423446.jpg.b372a3ec160ee41b17071d7d38f90d22.jpg

Overall it has the appearance of a Spinosaurid foot claw however I have no way to determine if its Spinosaurus.  A few red flags and need to see the views not shows.. If you can get HD photos that would be great.   These screeshots dont necessarily give the best images.

• Thank You 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:18 PM, Troodon said:

These photos are not very good to look at a claw especially from Morocco

This is true, it's very hard to get good quality sharp photos on this online auction platform. As they work with a system that compresses the images to reduce the file size.

I had also seen this claw, Id like to believe this is a real claw from the KK beds you can see some bone structure. With some repair done do it it seems to be broken at the tip and glued and some other fillers like Troodon has mentioned. Overal this is a rare piece to see.

The claw is 10cm long so about 4inches, so if its not Spinosaurid indet, perhaps Carcharodontosaurus? 

This is what I hate at these online auctions, you cannot ask any questions, request photos etc. So its not without a risk

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Phos_01 said:

This is true, it's very hard to get good quality sharp photos on this online auction platform. As they work with a system that compresses the images to reduce the file size.

I had also seen this claw, Id like to believe this is a real claw from the KK beds you can see some bone structure. With some repair done do it it seems to be broken at the tip and glued and some other fillers like Troodon has mentioned. Overal this is a rare piece to see.

The claw is 10cm long so about 4inches, so if its not Spinosaurid indet, perhaps Carcharodontosaurus? 

This is what I hate at these online auctions, you cannot ask any questions, request photos etc. So its not without a risk

You can certainly ask for additional photos and ask additional questions if this is the site I assume it is.  The functionality exists for that. If the seller won't provide answers that should be the red flag to go the other way otherwise all at your own risk.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

*Frank*

4 hours ago, FB003 said:

You can certainly ask for additional photos and ask additional questions if this is the site I assume it is.  The functionality exists for that. If the seller won't provide answers that should be the red flag to go the other way otherwise all at your own risk.

Well we cant talk about sellers open here but I think we are talking about the same platform. I have tried it there before and never got answers regarding additional photos. I agree if a seller wont send extra photos its a red flag, the question is, will the seller see your question, because you send your message trough the auction platform.

• Enjoyed 2