Hadrosaur bone? Nee help with ID and extraction

Aatish

• New Members

Hello,

I made this find in the Alberta badlands yesterday, the area is known to have tons of hadrosaur bones, so i assume thats what i have. unfortunately, i was not prepared to extract the bone without completely destroying it, so i plan on going back to get it some time this week. I collected many bone fragments from the area, and have noted down the location. I will post decent pictures once and if i am able to bring the fossil home, i seem to have forgotten to take proper pictures in my excitement! I would also like to ask for advice on how to extract this fossil. I plan on purchasing some wedges to split the rock, to make it a more manageable size. beyond this, i understand that it is a good idea to stabilize the fossil somehow before extraction, what would you recommend i use for this? i would imaging an adhesive that is able to seep into all the pours, but i am not sure what i should use specifically. 

IMG_3331.thumb.jpeg.ce169e7c6ef6f9bb3d839e291c45d2de.jpegIMG_3332.thumb.jpeg.cc3d6f5fe79f7398c9872d4958f40aff.jpeg

The second image is showing the rest of the fossil, mostly buried under clay.

Thanks for the help!

Hard to tell about anything with the photos provided.  Not seeing anything on the second photo.  B72 is a good consolidant.  What type of material is that bone encased in?

BTW are you aware that using tools to extract fossils can get you in lots of trouble in AB.   You're limited to just picking them up.

• New Members
34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hard to tell about anything with the photos provided.  Not seeing anything on the second photo.  B72 is a good consolidant.  What type of material is that bone encased in?

BTW are you aware that using tools to extract fossils can get you in lots of trouble in AB.   You're limited to just picking them up.

The fossil is encased in sandstone, which i imagine has a mostly silica cement, as it is very hard. Thanks for the help!

As for the law, thanks for the heads up! my thinking was surface collecting is legal in alberta, and i guess this situation is somewhere between excavating and surface collecting. The fossil and rock containing the fossil is not burried, and can be lifted without tools, but it would be difficult to transport the entire rock several kilometres to the nearest road. 

On 10/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, Aatish said:

The fossil is encased in sandstone, which i imagine has a mostly silica cement, as it is very hard. Thanks for the help!

As for the law, thanks for the heads up! my thinking was surface collecting is legal in alberta, and i guess this situation is somewhere between excavating and surface collecting. The fossil and rock containing the fossil is not burried, and can be lifted without tools, but it would be difficult to transport the entire rock several kilometres to the nearest road. 

I’m a fellow Albertan collector, you can find many great fossils on the surface so don’t be discouraged. Just make sure you know what land you’re on, some of the landowners are very against collecting. Leave anything alone that isn’t loose. 

as far as what you have here, looks like there’s some fossil underneath the big rock but you can’t touch that anyway. 

best of luck! 

• I found this Informative 1