Help Troubleshooting a CP 9361

joecooper84

I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my CP 9361 air scribe. I'm copying my same post from Facebook in hopes to get more visibility.
The main issue is that once the stylus touches rock, the stylus jams, or simply stops working.
  • When changing the dial for air from 0 to 5, settings 0-3 blow out little to no air. Setting 4 blows out much air. Setting 5 blows out little to no air.
  • If I turn the dial slowly, sometimes the stylus will engage
  • Sometimes I have to bang the casing on something (either the palm of my hand or the leg of a table) to get it to start again
  • I've cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and lubricated with 3-in-1 machine oil
  • If I have just 1 O-ring on the stylus it will work for a few moments. If I have 2 O-rings on it, the stylus will never vibrate / engage.
Do I need to just buy a new air scribe?

I think the CP 9361 and the ME-9100 are very similar from what I’ve read.

I had similar problems with my ME-9100 and tried all sorts of things, new O-rings are always a good start. Flushing to see if particles are blocking air flow.

Finally what fixed it was a new piston. If the piston is worn you can get intermittent running of the scribe sometimes if some oil just happens to form a seal.

I’m sure you’ll be able to get a replacement piston. 

Do you have any water management systems in line? Filter etc? Water vapor can cause faster wear of parts like the piston and also poor scribe performance too. 

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to be without a scribe!

• I found this Informative 1

59 minutes ago, joecooper84 said:

Thank you. I was dreading it was the piston but think that is the most likely answer. 

Don’t worry if it’s the piston. It’s a replaceable part that wears out with use. 

I can’t remember how much the piston cost, but it’s easy to replace. I ended up sending mine to Paleotools. They replaced the piston housing too since  could also be worn and affect air pressure.

You could get in touch and price a piston from them? I don’t think it was expensive. Especially compared to the cost of a new scribe. 

it’s been a while since I replaced it, but I vaguely remember there being a couple of pins holding the piston housing in. They were really stubborn for me to get out.

I just checked - it cost $90 US for paleotools to service my ME-9100 back in 2020. That included the price of the piston and housing. 

43 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I just checked - it cost $90 US for paleotools to service my ME-9100 back in 2020. That included the price of the piston and housing. 

Pricey, but still lots cheaper than just buying a new 9361.  If you are getting variable air flows as you rotate the selector, you may have a blockage in that part of the scribe.  I've never seen anything about opening or maintenance for that part.  Since you have already tried regular cleaning and maintenance, then you might need to try a little more (if you havent attempted this already).  You might try disassembly and then blowing air through the upper as you work the selector.  Maybe you can dislodge some blocking gunk.  If no help, maybe try removing the air hose also and then soaking the upper in alcohol for a while, then blowing it out. maybe is oiled crud in there.  After soaking, be sure to let it dry thoroughly, and then put a few drops of machine oil into the air inlet, then reconnect and blow through / work the selector.  Have you checked the inside of the body to see if there is build-up that could be dragging the piston?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

13 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Pricey, but still lots cheaper than just buying a new 9361.  If you are getting variable air flows as you rotate the selector, you may have a blockage in that part of the scribe.  I've never seen anything about opening or maintenance for that part.  Since you have already tried regular cleaning and maintenance, then you might need to try a little more (if you havent attempted this already).  You might try disassembly and then blowing air through the upper as you work the selector.  Maybe you can dislodge some blocking gunk.  If no help, maybe try removing the air hose also and then soaking the upper in alcohol for a while, then blowing it out. maybe is oiled crud in there.  After soaking, be sure to let it dry thoroughly, and then put a few drops of machine oil into the air inlet, then reconnect and blow through / work the selector.  Have you checked the inside of the body to see if there is build-up that could be dragging the piston?

Thank you. I've tried soaking the body in alcohol but it did not change anything. I'm going to message paleotools and see the cost for a replacement piston.

Pull the o rings down on the stylist there should be two  if it works for a while then stops replace the o rings with two new ones I've even added three. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, joecooper84 said:

Thank you. I've tried soaking the body in alcohol but it did not change anything. I'm going to message paleotools and see the cost for a replacement piston.

Curious is you have had time to contact PT about rebuild cost?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

• 4 months later...

@joecooper84  I'm curious what your outcome on this was?  I just did a complete rebuild of my 9361, so I have a better understanding of it design and internal function.  The problem you described in the first post sound like either/or/both failed internal o-rings and crud buildup inside.  The selection numbers correspond to a groove in the outer sleeve that is rotated over an air port in the side of the internal shaft, and is sealed by a tiny o-ring.  If the o-ring gets deformed, cut, displaced, or you get something stuck in the middle of the groove, you would get the problems you listed here.  Its not difficult to fix, but you will need a vise or cradle block, roll pin punch and hammer, and all new internal rings and a new roll pin.

Sorry about not replying last time you asked. I kept meaning to, but didn't find the time.

The issue was several things. From Brooke:

"A couple of things; the piston and cylinder are quite worn, I changed them out and the tool has good power again. The second was that there was an o ring from an old stylus that had broken away and plugged up the exhaust holes. I took out the bushing, cleared the debris and put it back together. The piston is $65.00, cylinder $85.00."

I don't think she completely fixed the selection numbers issue on the bottom part, because the air doesn't increase steadily, but mostly all at once when going from 3 - 5.

Either way, it works now, and was cheaper than buying a whole new one.

• Thank You 1

Glad to hear they got it working for you.