New fossil hunter from Maryland

dsaavedra

Hello, my name is Dave and I'm a new fossil hunter from Maryland, USA. I have always been interested in fossils, in fact - when I was a young kid I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up... that didn't quite pan out. I created this account in 2013 so something must have rekindled my interest at that time - but this is my first post. My interest has been yet again rekindled over the past month or two and I have developed an obsession with shark tooth hunting.

I have been fossil hunting a total of 4 times in my adult life - all within the last month - and I've had some great finds including 2 megalodon teeth (well, one was a chubitensis I think). Shark tooth hunting has been just about all I can think about for the last month and I have done a lot of lurking on this site. I thought it was time I made my first post and introduced myself.

None of my friends have an interest in fossil hunting so I thought I could meet some people with similar interests. If anyone is looking for a fossil hunting buddy in Maryland please reach out! I live close to the Calvert Cliffs and have 2 kayaks that I use to get from spot to spot - I'd love to go hunting with someone who has a little more experience. I'm planning to spend a lot of time on the beaches during the upcoming winter.

My other primary interest is kayak fishing in the local area - I would be happy to trade some fishing knowledge/spots for fossil hunting knowledge/spots :D In my mind I see a lot of parallels between fishing and fossil hunting and it is no surprise why both appeal to me. Not too long ago I ran across this quote about fishing and it really resonated with me, I think it applies completely to fossil hunting too: "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope".

Hopefully this is an acceptable introduction post, and thanks for reading. One of these days I'll try to put together a few trip reports so I can be a contributing member instead of just a lurker :)

Thanks,

Dave

• Enjoyed 2

Welcome from Illinois, belatedly. :)

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum. Are you aware of the Calvert Marine Museum in the Solomons. They have an excellent Fossil Club. You could meet some experienced fossil hunters there. Happy hunting to you. If I was younger (81) I would have taken you up on your offer. But my hunting days are over.

13 hours ago, dsaavedra said:

One of these days I'll try to put together a few trip reports

I can't wait!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

Welcome to the Forum. Are you aware of the Calvert Marine Museum in the Solomons. They have an excellent Fossil Club. You could meet some experienced fossil hunters there. Happy hunting to you. If I was younger (81) I would have taken you up on your offer. But my hunting days are over.

Yes, I've been to the Calvert Marine Museum a few times over the years. Usually just as "something to do", but now that I have a real interest in sharks teeth I'd like to go again. It didn't occur to me that they'd have a fossil hunting club, thanks for the suggestion! 

Edited by dsaavedra

• 4 weeks later...