Cleaning Mineral Deposits from Mazon Creek Fossils

Patrick K.

Hello all, my name is Patrick - nice to meet you! 

I recently went back to the Mazon Creek area to hunt with my daughter, it has been about 40 years since I went with my dad as a kid, so it had been a while! We did ok, found a few that had already popped open, but are covered in white mineral deposits. I tried the method that our local club ESCONI has on its website (Soaked in 25% Vinegar and water solution for 15 minutes and gently rub with a cotton ball), and only saw minimal improvement on the ones that were really bad. I only tried this once on each one - just wondering if my expectations are a bit high for these and I should just accept the condition or if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations? 

fossil.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

These all look like Essexella asherae.

My process and this is just me, others may do it differently, but if they were mine, I would place those into pure vinegar for a little bit and brush them with a toothbrush and rinse in water. If they were anything other than those E. asherae , I would go about it differently.

I agree with Ralph. Essexella asherae most probably. Soak in water for a day or two and then soak in vinegar.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks! I did the full vinegar soak for 10 minutes, removed some deposit w a soft toothbrush then back in for 10 minutes, repeated until it all came off - and they came out very clean and identifiable - one is definitely the common Essexella asherae - but now with visible detail. The large one I can't quite make anything of, it doesn't have the shape of the other smaller essexella's I have, still pretty cool though.  I had a few plants that were severely coated in deposits that I used the full soak/brush on also - the veins are still visible after - they are surprisingly tough for 300 million years! Do you have a different method for more delicate/rare ones that have the coatings? 

IMG_7876.jpg

• Enjoyed 1