Kem Kem bone plate id help Coelacanth? Mawsonia?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I'm back with another weird Kem Kem bone. I wasn't sure what to make of this thing at first. A buddy even suggested Crinoid at one point. The closest I can find is a gill plate of a giant fresh water coelacanth. Because apparently that was a thing. The pictures I've been seeing are all from Mawsonia though I'm wondering if I'm 1. on the right track and 2. if it can be IDed as Mawsonia or if in typical Kem Kem fashion there were a bunch of these things swimming around that all had a plate that looks like this.

The bone is about 16.5 cm by 15.2 cm with 17.8 cm as the longest measurement and up to 1.4 cm thick.

So what do you all think?

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

Certainly not a fish expert but I think you are spot on.  Ibrahim last paper on fauna of KK identifies this Mawsoniidae from the KK Axelrodichthys lavocati,  Tabaste, 1963

Photo off internet of Mawsonia

Mawsonia_sp.thumb.jpg.bd3dfd80fac1417caec88f5100ad58ab.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:48 PM, Troodon said:

Certainly not a fish expert but I think you are spot on.  Ibrahim last paper on fauna of KK identifies this Mawsoniidae from the KK Axelrodichthys lavocati,  Tabaste, 1963

Photo off internet of Mawsonia

Mawsonia_sp.thumb.jpg.bd3dfd80fac1417caec88f5100ad58ab.jpg

That's the picture I based my ID on! When I was trying to ID this piece I typed in Kem Kem fish fossils and then a light bulb went off when I saw that picture!

I've been looking around it seems there where a couple "Mawsoniids" in the Kem Kem so chances are in classic Kem Kem fashion, Mawsoniidae is probably as far as can be reasonably said.

Do you think Lord Trilobite might have some more insight? He's really good with Kem Kem stuff right? Or does he just do dinosaurs and reptiles?

call me an idiot,but my first impression(which have tended to be erroneous,of late) is that this is a Mawsonia operculum/gular plate

Edited by doushantuo