I want to buy this Megalodon Shark Tooth, and I want to know if this is real or not. Can someone help me please?

Apparently it's real with no restorations done.

247870-6.jpg

247870-3.jpg

I'm not seeing any restorations, but more experienced members may see something that I don't.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Can we get pictures of the other side of the tooth?

From the pictures you posted, it looks fine. There are some shiny parts on the root that may indicate some slight restoration in the form of crack filling, but it could just be the lighting.

Overall, it looks like a nice, big tooth.

Edited by Meatasaurus93

The tooth looks alright to me. Would need to have pictures from a lot more angles and (ideally) to see it in person in order to be absolutely sure. 

5 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

Can we get pictures of the other side of the tooth?

From the pictures you posted, it looks fine. There are some shiny parts on the root that may indicate some slight restoration in the form of crack filling, but it could just be the lighting.

Overall, it looks like a nice, big tooth.

Unfortunately those are the only photos online fossil retailer posted. I'm not sure how reputable that site is.

15 hours ago, S.B said:

know if this is real or not

The shape looks good. Do you got any provenance were it should be found? USA? 

Perhaps you could try to contact the seller / store and ask for a detailed photo of the side , serrations. just to rule out that its a cast. Its probably not, but you can never be TO sure when it comes to online fossil shopping. And if possible UV photos to try to see restoration is done, when its real. 

4 hours ago, S.B said:

Unfortunately those are the only photos online fossil retailer posted. I'm not sure how reputable that site is.

Does the seller not offer a way to contact them for more pictures?

1 hour ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

I'm not sure how reputable that site is.

Most dealers are reputable but that does not mean they have not inadvertently misrepresented an item, happens all of the time.    You should never purchase a tooth without seeing all sides.  Don't assume it's similarto the side shown.

I checked out an online site and saw the tooth.  Here is the other side.  Looks fine

247870-4.thumb.jpg.b679cf7b7769075213e4393bce26fa33.jpg

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Most dealers are reputable but that does not mean they have not inadvertently misrepresented an item, happens all of the time.    You should never purchase a tooth without seeing all sides.  Don't assume it's similarto the side shown.

I checked out an online site and saw the tooth.  Here is the other side.  Looks fine

247870-4.thumb.jpg.b679cf7b7769075213e4393bce26fa33.jpg

Thank you so much, I appreciate you checking for me!  

• New Members

I have a similar question, but the...inclusion would be " what would you actually pay"?

Pretty sure on authenticity. Quality have a lot to be desired in my eyes, lots to nitpick. Nice for something on "a shelf", but.... I don't know. Am I being picky? There are more out there, so...

20230415_074012.jpg

20230415_073320.jpg

20230415_073818.jpg

Edited by JP2336
sp

We don't discuss price/value on the forum.  Yes, there are plenty of teeth in much better condition than this one, but you have to balance price with quality and decide what's worth it to you.

I personally would want one in better condition, but I also don't own a nice meg because I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for something I hope to find eventually.  :Wink1:

Edited by Fin Lover
Added last sentence
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

Ahh, understood. Quality discussion/learning is desirable. Ss stated, this is something that is sitting on my shelf. Def not one if of the hallmark items, if you will.

Pics, if you will...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RYZHxm1uoLxJ8kKP7

But, I wanted to pick it apart. When diving you come across a small amount that look nice and a handful that look like these or worse. There's Subject Matter Experts (SME) in different aspects, rarely have I found any Meg/Meg tooth & divers near me.

Lots of knowledge in this forum....