Desrosiers1718

Hi found this vertabra on a beach near Los Angeles.   Even though it is not a fossil I was wondering if anyone can ID it for me,  I was thinking dolphin or porpoise but I’m not 100% sure.   Thanks 

IMG_6321.jpeg

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

Welcome to TFF.    My 1st reaction is not Dolphin or whale.  I am not familiar enough with seals and sea lions to discount this possibility..

Possibly @siteseer or @Boesse can comment.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Isn’t the steller sea lion extinct? Either way this bone looks modern to me maybe try the burn test?

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

I was thinking maybe not a Stellar Sea Lion but maybe a California Sea Lion (I forgot the Latin name Californicus something.   If it looks shiny I did coat it with B72 .   

13 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

Isn’t the steller sea lion extinct? Either way this bone looks modern to me maybe try the burn test?

Stellers sea cow was slaughtered to extinction 30 years after its discovery, Stellers sea lion is at the moment categorized as only near-threatened, which is not that bad considering mankinds success at reducing pinnipeds so far...

Stellers sea-ape by the way is a cryptid, seen and described by Steller once and never again. 

Not sure if pinniped vertebrae can be ID´d to species level?

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This is a thoracic vertebra of a modern pinniped, looks to be an otariid-  most likely California sea lion, Zalophus californianus.

Vertebrae typically can't be ID'd to the species level but if you know what species are present rough IDs can be made based on size.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1