Is it a jaw? ID

Jimmy From Holland

I found this fossil in Thurso Scotland 2022. Tings ar not always what the seems to be. but this fossil looks a bit like a carnivore's lower jaw. ( molars look like there ) it's very small but I brought it because it looked like a jaw. even that of a rodent, but that seems impossible for the Devonian age. I would love to hear your ideas thanks in advance.

IMG_6698.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6703.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6704.jpeg

I'm not sure what to make of this item.

The pictures aren't sharp enough detail to see and detail of bone structure.

I am stumped on this one.  :shrug: :headscratch:  :zzzzscratchchin:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Jimmy,

I see the resemblance in shape you are talking about. What in my eyes counts against this being a jaw is the texture.

What would be the teeth is the same dull black as the would-be-bone, typically bone and teeth are quite different in preservation.

Where there other stones with black parts in grey matrix? If there where any and they had no bone shapes, that would also indicate a coincidental lookalike. 

That combination of black on grey could also point to plant matter, the high carbon content of plant fossils often turns them black. 

Besides, if its devonian I do not know of anything that possessed that kind of jaw and teeth back then. 

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It has a passing resemblance to a Homostius* inferognathal

*it gives off a plourdosteid vibe,anyway

Homostius from Thurso is apparently radioactive,I noticed

the black coloration might be caused by hydrocarbons,and the fossil might be phosphatized

editorial note: for Achanarras the Scottish Fossil Code applies

Edited by doushantuo

On 5/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, Mahnmut said:

Hi Jimmy,

I see the resemblance in shape you are talking about. What in my eyes counts against this being a jaw is the texture.

What would be the teeth is the same dull black as the would-be-bone, typically bone and teeth are quite different in preservation.

Where there other stones with black parts in grey matrix? If there where any and they had no bone shapes, that would also indicate a coincidental lookalike. 

That combination of black on grey could also point to plant matter, the high carbon content of plant fossils often turns them black. 

Besides, if its devonian I do not know of anything that possessed that kind of jaw and teeth back then. 

Best Regards,

J

"Besides, if it's Devonian, I don't know of anything that had such a jaw and teeth back then."

No, that's why I'm exposing the speciement here.

There is no other material. this sat on an empty piece the rest was destroyed by the sea i think.

It must be an accidental piece of bone, but it looks a bit like a jaw. better photos to follow.

Strictly morphologically speaking,as i've remarked above,it looks like an arthrodiran* inferognathal 

"fish"

Jimmy de toon kan wel iets minder graag

Tone it down a bit,please

edit : it is topologically and functionally analogous to a "jaw", but the homology with non-placoderm jaws is debatable

Edited by doushantuo

On 5/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, doushantuo said:

It has a passing resemblance to a Homostius* inferognathal

*it gives off a plourdosteid vibe,anyway

Homostius from Thurso is apparently radioactive,I noticed

the black coloration might be caused by hydrocarbons,and the fossil might be phosphatized

editorial note: for Achanarras the Scottish Fossil Code applies

yes I know about the code and will inform the authorities if it is an unknown jaw. Since I'm not sure I'll ask here first. does the radioactivity formd pose a health risk?

"resemblance to a Homostius" I see on google indeed a piece that looks very similar thanks.

IMG_6717.jpeg

the radioactivity MIGHT pose a health hazard,so if you know anyone with a dosimeter..

Does anyone know if the Caithness Field club still exists?

Edited by doushantuo

28 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Strictly morphologically speaking,as i've remarked above,it looks like an arthrodiran* inferognathal 

"fish"

Jimmy de toon kan wel iets minder graag

Tone it down a bit,please

edit : it is topologically and functionally analogous to a "jaw", but the homology with non-placoderm jaws is debatable

my english is not great and i think it's because of google translate.
apologies for the known harsh tone not intended that way I'm here for fun.

• I found this Informative 1

'kee,cool.

Let's shake hands,my English could be way better

let me know beforehand if you expect any future glitches in communication.

I''ve ALWAYS been here for fun BTW

Ben

Edited by doushantuo
  • Enjoyed 1