First Ptychodus tooth - species ID?

TSCannon

Hi all - finally found a Ptychodus tooth here in Central Texas. Is this one in good enough shape to narrow it down to species? Thanks!

IMG_1672.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

IMG_1657.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1654.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1682.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Nice tooth! I don't know these enough to identify which species but here's the go-to guide:

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Nice tooth! I don't know these enough to identify which species but here's the go-to guide:

Thanks! I looked through it but I’m not confident enough to make an ID myself. Curious to see if anyone else can! 

Branching ridges makes me think Ptychodus occidentalis or Ptychodus decurrens. Hard to decide between the two. P. decurrens is generally lower crowned, and I think this has more of a P. decurrens look to the ridges.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I second EPIK. Definitely Ptychodus decurrens. 7 parallel ridges. Low to moderate crown height. Anastomatizing ridges to the tooth margin. It has that dark brown to black color from the Bouldin Flags member or Lower South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford. Probably a lateral tooth file. Really nice specimen!

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, LSCHNELLE said:

I second EPIK. Definitely Ptychodus decurrens. 7 parallel ridges. Low to moderate crown height. Anastomatizing ridges to the tooth margin. It has that dark brown to black color from the Bouldin Flags member or Lower South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford. Probably a lateral tooth file. Really nice specimen!

Thanks so much! 

2 hours ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

Branching ridges makes me think Ptychodus occidentalis or Ptychodus decurrens. Hard to decide between the two. P. decurrens is generally lower crowned, and I think this has more of a P. decurrens look to the ridges.

Thanks for the help!

Congrats! For where you are, it's very well preserved. I have not personally seen such a nice P. decurrens tooth, especially from gravel. 

• I found this Informative 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

Congrats! For where you are, it's very well preserved. I have not personally seen such a nice P. decurrens tooth, especially from gravel. 

Thanks! This was in the general area I usually search, but a new spot a mile or two away. I spotted it within the first two minutes, sitting out in plain sight. Found another projectile point too. It was so insanely hot outside that I didn’t stay long, but I look forward to getting back there and exploring more. 

• Enjoyed 1