From Gilboa and Schoharie Areas ....

sebachinger

• New Members

Hello!  Just wanted to post a few of my recent find from the Gilboa and Schoharie areas - would love to learn more about them, and appreciate any info! In the image of the light yellowish color rock, I am curious if that may or may not be stromatolites, or just a layer of chert? That was found in Schoharie near the quarry - Thank you!

From Gilboa area

• New Members

From Gilboa (my apologies for the previous image format ...)

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

1. Looks like it might be a bryozoan. It looked like a plant remain at first, but from the other photos of it I'd lean towards it being bryozoan or another colonial animal. 

2. Hard to tell. Definitely a fossil, but whether it's a trace fossil, plant fragment, or something else is hard to say. My tentative guess would be plant fragment.

3. I'd lean towards it not being a stromatolite. There are some nice trilobite molt fragments in the one photo, and judging by the other fauna it was likely deposited in an environment that stromatolites aren't typically found in. I think it's multiple layers of rock in one specimen. 

4. A nice trilobite pygidium!

The ribbing on the pygidium is suggestive of it belonging to the Synphorinae. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I respectfully disagree on the first item.
This looks like some sort of branching plant fossil, to me, especially considering the location found.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I respectfully disagree on the first item.
This looks like some sort of branching plant fossil, to me, especially considering the location found.

I thought it was preserved in some calcite going by the other specimens which made me think colonial, but you're right with plant if it's from Gilboa.