Fossil ID from Illinois

Regal

Hello,

We found this cool fossil mixed in with other stones in our planting in Lake County, Illinois  and cannot figure out what type it is.  We are in Northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border.  My mom thinks it is a coral but I think it looks like the imprint of a bunch of isopods.  We know little about fossils but would love to know more about this find.  It is possible that it is not from our area since it was mixed in with landscaping rocks.

Thanks!

0A936E21-5BB1-4A38-89BE-7C0E5B850082.jpeg

5644B32F-53CD-447B-9B2D-A2E4C65A44EF.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Regal said:

Hello,

We found this cool fossil mixed in with other stones in our planting in Lake County, Illinois  and cannot figure out what type it is.  We are in Northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border.  My mom thinks it is a coral but I think it looks like the imprint of a bunch of isopods.  We know little about fossils but would love to know more about this find.  It is possible that it is not from our area since it was mixed in with landscaping rocks.

Thanks!

0A936E21-5BB1-4A38-89BE-7C0E5B850082.jpeg

5644B32F-53CD-447B-9B2D-A2E4C65A44EF.jpeg

It looks like a weathered piece of coral to me, probably from the Silurian period judging by the location and the color/look of the fossil. Neat find!

• I Agree 1

And you are also correct in that it can be from somewhere else since it was mixed in with the landscaping gravel. Landscaping material sometimes contains lots of fossils.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 weeks later...

The last looks more like the impression of a crinoid stem piece. Nice finds though!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Haha.  As you can tell, I am not very well informed. Thank you for the information.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

The first three look like coral, the next one is a crinoid stem, the next two are rocks that could have fossil parts inside them since they were with the others but they don’t show on the outside of them and the last two are crinoid stems. If you want to find out where they are from you could call your landscaper and ask them where they source their stone out of and maybe they’ll tell you? 

This look is relatively common in the northern unit of the Mazonia fish and wildlife area near Braceville. The old strip-mining spoil piles. 

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This look is relatively common in the northern unit of the Mazonia fish and wildlife area near Braceville. The old strip-mining spoil piles. 

I think something glitched here. This is not relevant to the topic.

Mark.

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I think something glitched here. This is not relevant to the topic.

What makes you say that ?

18 hours ago, Rockwood said:

What makes you say that ?

Because the OP's photos look nothing like Mazon Creek fossil material, and you'll never find anything like it at Mazonia unless it's brought in, in a load of gravel. I thought you may have been looking at a topic elsewhere and your reply somehow ended up here due to a server glitch of some kind.

Mark.

4 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Because the OP's photos look nothing like Mazon Creek fossil material, and you'll never find anything like it at Mazonia unless it's brought in, in a load of gravel. I thought you may have been looking at a topic elsewhere and your reply somehow ended up here due to a server glitch of some kind.

You, my friend, just don't know where to look. I've already posted examples that show the contrary.