Potential fossil found in WV Pennsylvanian

AndrewFinder

• New Members

Found a few impressions similar to this one during a hike near Davis, WV. Geology is Pennsylvanian sandstone. Could this be Calamites or am I way off? Rock in photo is ~ 5"x4" in size

Thanks!

MaybeFossil.jpeg

This looks like a metamorphic rock, to be honest.  :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely not Calamites. I'm pretty sure it's not a plant fossil. What kind of geology caused the pattern ? :Confused05:

• New Members

Thanks all, I had suspected this was potentially abiotic, but the defined edges of the pattern made me think it could be an impression.

I'm now leaning towards these being water ripple marks that were captured during sediment deposition. I still think the bounded edges are a bit unusual.

On 6/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, AndrewFinder said:

Found a few impressions similar to this one during a hike near Davis, WV. Geology is Pennsylvanian sandstone. Could this be Calamites or am I way off? Rock in photo is ~ 5"x4" in size

Thanks!

MaybeFossil.jpeg

This is a weathered imprint of lycopod bark, probably from the Pottsville or Allegheny Groups judging by the sandstone it's in. Cool find! I always enjoy seeing these kinds of plant fossils. 

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

I agree not Calamites, and I do also think likely a lycopod and not a ripple...would be interesting to explore around and be able find the source to confirm and and possibly find a less weathered specimen(s). Cool find!

Regards, Chris