Hi guys could you help me authenticate this megalodon tooth fossil please I bought it from a store that sells lots of crystals,meteorites etc. called [seller name redacted as per forum rules] in Sydney. The colour of the tooth is quite a blackish red colour and it was said to be found in Morroco is this normal ? 

Screenshot_20230711-062640~2.png

IMG_0944.jpeg

Edited by JohnJ
Photo edited to remove price per rules

Hello @Nab5454 , im sorry to tell you but this tooth is fake. The blade and root, the whole thing is a composite. 

You can easily spot it with a trained eye, the blade serrations are carved, the blade itself seems to be from a kind of resin, and the root some kind of plaster. Its very typical that Moroccan fossils are faked, but Megalodon tooth I haven't seen that much.

Sadly in this case its a fake, if its possible I would try to return it asap and get your money back.

Edited by Phos_01
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Really ? It looks pretty legitimate to me. This is what the store has to say. 

[redacted]

I agree with it being a composite/fake. If you look closely at the bourlette as well, it seems fairly clear that whoever fabricated this did not take as much care in scratching in those lines. 

I have removed the identification of the seller, as that is not permitted here. What a seller says is immaterial to the actual specimen itself. 

• I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This tooth is a total fake and not a good one.  There are red flags all over it: the serrations, the texture and shape of the root, the obviously painted crown, the thickness

and texture of the fake enamel etc.

Marco Sr.

• I Agree 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Please keep in mind that the dealer may not be aware that this is a fake.   So he may not be a good one to ask about its authenticity.  It's a pretty obvious fake to those that have handled these teeth.   Unfortunately or fortunately this one is relatively an easy call.

• I Agree 2

To those of us that have handled a lot of Megalodon teeth, it screams out "fake" very loudly. I understand why the untrained eye would miss the red flags though.
Take it back to the shop for a refund...