Plesiosaur or polychotylid jaw?

Per Christian

This is definitely a croc jaw. Location would help narrow down the identification. The preservation make me think it is from the phosphates, but I'm not super familiar with Kem Kem crocs and can't rule it out. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Like Trevor said: this is a crocodile jaw. Conservation and adhering matrix would indicate this as coming from the phosphates. The teeth, which have been added, however, look to be what would usually be called Elosuchus cherifiensis. It wouldn't be the first piece to mix material from different locations in Morocco. At the same time, it may be a good idea to have someone like @Troodon or @LordTrilobite have a look at it to rule out the jaw itself coming from the Kem Kem.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

A known Dyrosaurus from the phosphates of Morocco to compare against

Science Museum Minnesota

Screenshot_20230712_044617_Twitter.thumb.jpg.1a54525b0f6ac01aa866faee419ca6b3.jpg

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

A known Dyrosaurus from the phosphates of Morocco to compare against

Science Museum Minnesota

Screenshot_20230712_044617_Twitter.thumb.jpg.1a54525b0f6ac01aa866faee419ca6b3.jpg

I agree, that's what I was thinking for the jaw as well. The preservation/colour of the teeth threw me off a bit, as most dyrosaurid teeth I've seen are light cream coloured, and they usually have a flattened lingual surface. However, looking back at the teeth, I think the teeth do match the identification. They do indeed not have the anastomosing enamel/durophagous adaptations you'd expect from Elosuchus cherifiensis.

I'd say, with that, jaw and teeth are both dyrosaurid - likely Dyrosaurus phosphaticus - from the Ouled Abdoun basin.

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I agree that it looks like a croc jaw from the phosphate beds.

• Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite