Unknown Ordovician Fossil

mtz

Found this in the Cincinnati arch along with standard brachiopods and rugose corals from Ordovician. I was thinking some sort of bryozoan? Crinoid ends don't look like this?

PXL_20230716_000124898.jpg

What does the other side look like?

What size is this?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

What does the other side look like?

What size is this?

Sorry forgot the scale, it's half dollar size. Other side has nothing of note.

From the site you posted, I saw one picture and it appears to match the comment where the coral head broke - neat

1 hour ago, mtz said:

From the site you posted, I saw one picture and it appears to match the comment where the coral head broke - neat

There is not a consensus on the affinity of Tetradium. It has variously been classified as a coral, algae, and sponge.

A quote of a quote from elsewhere:

FYI, the latest Treatise Part E, Porifera makes this statement in part: "Ordovician Genus Tetradium (now interpreted as a florideophyte algae [replacement name Prismostylus Okulitch, 1935] by Steele-Petrovich, 2011, p.802)." This is quoted from Part E, Revised, Volume 4, Chapter 16B: Lebechiida, B. D. Webby, 2012, page 3

Edited by connorp
  • I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, connorp said:

There is not a consensus on the affinity of Tetradium. It has variously been classified as a coral, algae, and sponge.

A quote of a quote from elsewhere:

fascinating, a rhodophyte algae, I'm tempted to slice it and try some macro shots 

asphirptykangluujjjiidp88humb.thumb.jpg.5d9fda1bd2f0640f17db0ed0aca1ed81.jpg

They are indeed pretty cool fossils. They are probably the biggest fossil you can find locally. I've found specimens maybe 3 feet in diameter.

19 hours ago, connorp said:

They are indeed pretty cool fossils. They are probably the biggest fossil you can find locally. I've found specimens maybe 3 feet in diameter.

tiny calcified tubes for photosynthesis : D

20230719170934_100A7630.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I think I should have said it's like a rhodophyte? Maybe I can slice and polish it, then try macro extension tubes (that work awesome for bugs btw!).