PaleoOrdo

I found this fossile last summer at the beach of Randsfjorden in Norway, Kalvsjøen formation, from late Katian, late Ordovician, but cannot figure out what it is. The speciemen is about 3 cm long and geodized in the middle.

Does anyone have an idea what it can be? Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin

Bilde5.jpg

ukjent 1.jpg

ukjent 2.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Unknown fossil

Looks like a cross section through a bivalve, to me.  :shrug:

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree, a strongly ribbed bivalve or brachiopod.  The way the fossil stands out from the limestone suggests it may be silicified.  You may be able to expose more by etching in vinegar or very dilute acetic acid.  If you try that, just keep an eye out on how it progresses to make sure you don't dissolve the fossil.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree, a strongly ribbed bivalve or brachiopod.  The way the fossil stands out from the limestone suggests it may be silicified.  You may be able to expose more by etching in vinegar or very dilute acetic acid.  If you try that, just keep an eye out on how it progresses to make sure you don't dissolve the fossil.

Don

Thank you Don and Tim. I agree with bivalve or brachiopod, indeed it is strongly ribbed,

Thank you for the advice, Don,  I will give the vinegar a try.

Edited by PaleoOrdo