ID HELP: TOOTH(?) FOSSIL FOUND; MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ

Ame

• New Members

Hi, Fossil Folks! I’m a long-time dinosaur enthusiast (I even wrote a book for kids about ‘em!) but I’m TOTALLY new to fossils and a first-time poster—apologies if I make errors with this.

️I would LOVE ID help on this item I found last week on a beach in Monmouth County, NJ.

What do you think it might be?

(it’s flat, not round, I don’t see serrations but it’s obviously pretty worn, and I’m including photos of both sides and “top.”)

All opinions welcome and appreciated!
THANKS for looking/commenting!

11154CFF-330F-4595-B8F3-631015204605.jpeg

83849029-18C1-4D16-B177-6D99842AC9E2.jpeg

41CAF680-6857-4EDB-A4E3-75FDA4E026DA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I agree. One strong tell here is that teeth do not typically have vugs with crystal inclusions as seen in your piece.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Ame said:

Hi, Fossil Folks! I’m a long-time dinosaur enthusiast (I even wrote a book for kids about ‘em!) but I’m TOTALLY new to fossils and a first-time poster—apologies if I make errors with this.

️I would LOVE ID help on this item I found last week on a beach in Monmouth County, NJ.

What do you think it might be?

(it’s flat, not round, I don’t see serrations but it’s obviously pretty worn, and I’m including photos of both sides and “top.”)

All opinions welcome and appreciated!
THANKS for looking/commenting!

Well,  Ame. Welcome to the fossil forum..  It is a great place for those addicted to fossils from around the world...

I want to warn you that I have a vivid imagination... Maybe there was a huge tooth, made of enamel plates with cementum sticking the plates together. 100000 years ago, a mammal dies, the body decays, leaving the teeth and bones. Large mammals step on the teeth,  eventually crushing them into small fragments... Then global warming hits, covering the land with the sea, One fragment shaped like a small tooth, gets washed and eroded rolling in the surf...  You walk along the beach and find that fragment of a much larger tooth laying in the sand....

I was out hunting yesterday and among my finds were many small fragments of Mammoth teeth....It is easy to see the dark outside of the cementum with directional lines and the layers of enamel tend to be lighter...

IMG_2445ce.thumb.jpg.5191bafd7435f6805bb198466de55eb0.jpg

I note a couple of things about your fossil, which is much more worn than my examples.

Just above blue lines might be enamel ....

BlueLines.JPG.4185745ca425e7f0d99027a86e584740.JPG

Just to the left of the red lines might be the directional lines of the cementum.

Blueandred.JPG.86932f507082b76abe27bda253ca731a.JPG

Here is a more complete Mammoth tooth that I found years ago...

IMG_2446.JPG

I could be just imaging this,  but then I told you.. I have a vivid imagination

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

We wouldn't be as far as we are without your keen perspective, Jack. :) 

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 4

Very astute observations, Jack, but to my knowlegde, there have been no mammoth fossils found as yet in Monmouth county. Mastodon yes, but no mammoths as far as I know.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members

THANKS, everybody, for your welcome and help and comments so far! 

KANE, you mentioned vugs—cavities in a rock lined with mineral crystals, right? (I’m just learning.) I shoulda mentioned—that’s sand from the beach, not embedded crystals, if that helps.

THANKS again, all!

You got it! Vugs are always kind of cool. Holes with crystal treasures! Sad to hear that it wasn't a vug, but just maybe this means it pushes the specimen closer to the tooth camp. :) 

• Thank You 1

45 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Very astute observations, Jack, but to my knowledge, there have been no mammoth fossils found as yet in Monmouth county. Mastodon yes, but no mammoths as far as I know.

Thank you,  I depend on TFF expertise like yours , to pull me back to reality when I venture too far.

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

53 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Very astute observations, Jack, but to my knowledge, there have been no mammoth fossils found as yet in Monmouth county. Mastodon yes, but no mammoths as far as I know.

@Ludwigia

Rare, but they are there -

See this recent post:

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not seeing a mammoth tooth fragment there but it certainly looks like the fish bone bits that are quite common on the NJ beaches. It's probably too worn and fragmentary to ever ID beyond that.

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 month later...

Just a guess but it could be an enchodus jaw fragment, since the striations look similar to how enchodus jaw parts look as they wear.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

• New Members

THANKS for your reply! I’d reached out to a local fossil hunter here in NJ, and they thought the same thing! I think that’s kind of AMAZING that we likely found an ancient fish beastie’s tooth, and I’ve thought about this every time we’ve had fish for dinner since! HA! :) !