Alberta tooth I.D please

Jemstar

Hello fossil friends, 

does this tooth look familiar to anyone? We are currently near Drumheller, and we found this surface searching in an old dump area that had many fossil shards and bits. It’s about 1 1/2”.  I’ve tried google already. If it turns out to be anything important it will go straight to Tyrell. Thanks for looking. 

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

It is weird! I’ve wiped it off some more and it actually looks metallic. I don’t have anything with me to check though, it’s really hard to tell. If this turns out to be anything but a tooth I will be really embarrassed. Lol. 

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4860.jpeg

I wouldn't be embarrassed. At first blush, I can see why it looked like a tooth.  But after your cleaning, the rifling marks and metallic character look more defined.  Better to pick it up than to miss out on a possible great find!

• I found this Informative 1

Yep. Full metal jacket  rifle round with soft lead core. Looks to be about .30 caliber so possibly 30-06, 303, or .308. If I knew the diameter I could probably tell you which for sure….. ( old reloader here)

• I found this Informative 1

Darn. I’ll be sticking to my Devonian fossils back home in Ontario. Haha.  I’ll leave this up as a learning tool for others. Thanks again. 

Edited by Jemstar
  • Enjoyed 1

15 hours ago, Joy_Fossils said:

I have also found a few of those. It always stumps me how they got there.

Probably just a bunch of yahoos shooting stuff at the dump. 

• I Agree 1