August Trip to Big Brook

TonyC

For the first time in a while we were able to visit Big Brook for some hunting.  

To start with it appears that Big Brook is now one of the Top 5 weekend destinations in NJ so we had to wait 30 minutes for a parking space to open up.  But we headed up stream where most newcomers don’t venture to.  

Good day but nothing out of the ordinary.  Decent teeth, some nice bivalve impression fossils, fish verts and the common belemnites.  

what’s the rectangular item with the “X” across it that’s seen in the last image?  

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Nice finds! Were most people there to hunt fossils? 

I think the thing with an X is a small vertebra that was split in half.

• I Agree 5

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Sadly I am not surprised to hear about the parking trouble. My understanding is that Big Brook has become very popular on social media as a place to visit. 

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

I think a lot of people were enjoying the shade and the brook.  Most of those hunting fossils weren’t venturing far from the bridge as they had young children.  So no scaling over and under the downed trees that are common.  What was good to see was that nobody was digging into the bank and nobody was leaving trash behind.  

• Enjoyed 3