Trilo ID Yunnan China

rocket

From an old collection we got this strange Trilobite. I think it was found and imported to Germany around 1980 - 1985.

Should come from Yunnan-Province in China (I only know it comes from china, did some research in the net and think it is a Yunnan-one).

Lenght is around 18 cm (7"). Has short spines at the end of the pleural segments. The cephalon has been badly prepared, surface is a bit destroyed but the rim fits. Pygidum looks rounded, but under a microscope I could see, the end is not prepped and under the surface. Will do the work on it next time...

What do you think about the genus? Before I start the prep-work I love to know if it has spiny ends, Looks not easy to prep...

thanks for comments!

IMG_4707.thumb.JPG.8c2881e1ed7ef12494ee34e8dc890c61.JPG

Looks like it was prepped with a meat cleaver.. :Horrified:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The current classification is Asaphopsoides yongshunensis.  It was previously classified Xiangxiia yongshunensis.

Peng 1990 reclassified it as a junior synonym of Asaphopsoides.  Here is an articulated specimen in my collection.

image.thumb.png.40f4deb92ee8fa54b4d709d89562f35c.png

Asaphopsoides yongshunensis 9" (23cm)

Lower Ordovician - Yinchufu Formation

Yongshun County, Hunan Province, China

Peng, S.C. 1990

Trilobites from the Panjiazui Formation and the Madaoyu Formation in Jiangnan Slope Belt.

In: Tremadoc Stratigraphy and Trilobite Faunas of Northwestern Hunan (China).

Beringeria, Würzburger Geowissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 2:55-171

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

42 minutes ago, piranha said:

The current classification is Asaphopsoides yongshunensis.  It was previously classified Xiangxiia yongshunensis.

Peng 1990 reclassified it as a junior synonym of Asaphopsoides.  Here is an articulated specimen in my collection.

image.thumb.png.40f4deb92ee8fa54b4d709d89562f35c.png

Asaphopsoides yongshunensis 9" (23cm)

Lower Ordovician - Yinchufu Formation

Yongshun County, Hunan Province, China

Peng, S.C. 1990

Trilobites from the Panjiazui Formation and the Madaoyu Formation in Jiangnan Slope Belt.

In: Tremadoc Stratigraphy and Trilobite Faunas of Northwestern Hunan (China).

Beringeria, Würzburger Geowissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 2:55-171

wow, thanks a lot. This might fit and will help while prepping it. Unusual spines at the pygidium, very interesting.

I will update when I finished the prep, think it will not before October or November. Many other dead animals in my hospital :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Looks like it was prepped with a meat cleaver.. :Horrified:

:heartylaugh:, yes, looks like..., this trilo has defintive headache after this way of killing the cephalon

but, I think I can rescue it

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

It doesn't come from Yunnan.It‘s from western Hunan.It calls Asaphopsoides yongshunensis,but we like to call it pancake