Do I need to preserve my fossils?

Lewis_

I found a piece of petrified wood, ammonites , some clam fossils, belemnites and other bits and bobs on the Yorkshire coast but do I need to do something to preserve them? Or do I just leave them how they are?

Hi Lewis 

Some pictures of your fossils that are worrying you would help to determine the right steps that are needed. 

If it is a more general question , have you found or purchased them ?  If you have found them wash any salts out of them. Let them dry out and store them away from the damp. As some Yorkshire fossils contain pyrite and that can react to moisture.

Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi Lewis 

Some pictures of your fossils that are worrying you would help to determine the right steps that are needed. 

If it is a more general question , have you found or purchased them. If you have found them wash any salts out of them. Let them dry out and store them away from the damp . As some Yorkshire fossils contain pyrite and that can react to moisture.

Cheers Bobby 

Hi Bobby, these are some of the fossils I was worried about, nothing special but I was only on the coast for a day so I took a bit more, do u think I should wash some of these? The shale fossils that aren’t as good with really badly preserved ammonites have been sitting outside for a couple weeks which probably isn’t ideal and my better ones have been inside but not washed only superglued

IMG_5473.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

IMG_5472.jpeg

IMG_5474.jpeg

IMG_5477.jpeg

IMG_5478.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi I would wash them just to get the salts out. Keep the dry and I can’t see any problems . Two of your pictures are not showing up. There will be more experience members passing by soon Who may spot something I may have missed. So keep checking in. Some lovely finds and if you’re after some IDs post in the ID section of TFF

cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 2