Fossilised Mango pits

Gerhard Briel

• New Members

Hi all, this was found many years by a road builder somewhere in Zambia. Unfortunately he passed away, so dont have the exact location. The biggest one is about 20cm in length. 

Are you sure they are fossilized and not just very dried out? I wonder if a flame test might help determine that.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Hi Kane, no they are indeed real.   Use them as decorations with my bonsais.

Don't think rock can burn....

I cant find any literature that mangoes go back so long back in Zambia.  We do however have petrified Juniper trees found near Lake Kariba.

That's why I asked if you've performed a flame test, just to be sure. A lot of seeds/nuts do take on some rock-like characteristics, and since rock won't burn that might be a good test. In terms of mangoes, they seem to originate in southeast Asia around 5000 years ago before spreading out, and so if this is indeed fossilized, it might classify as a "subfossil."

• New Members
18 minutes ago, Gerhard Briel said:

Hi Kane, no they are indeed real.   Use them as decorations with my bonsais.

Don't think rock can burn....

I cant find any literature that mangoes go back so long back in Zambia.  We do however have petrified Juniper trees found near Lake Kariba.

So you imply that the Junipers near Kariba are also 

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

That's why I asked if you've performed a flame test, just to be sure. A lot of seeds/nuts do take on some rock-like characteristics, and since rock won't burn that might be a good test. In terms of mangoes, they seem to originate in southeast Asia around 5000 years ago before spreading out, and so if this is indeed fossilized, it might classify as a "subfossil."

So does that imply that the Coniferous trees down at Kariba (Chirundu, lower Luangwa) are also subfossils?  Conifers are not indigenous to Sub Sahara Africa as I understand those fossils are about 150 million year old trees according to the scientists?   

Well, the presence of fossils does not mean these seed items are fossils. Let us know the results of applying flame to them. I am not implying anything at all about junipers; I am focusing on the initial items.

• New Members

Great, thanks Kane... will do the fire test and revert.   Sorry I'm just new to this and was wondering about this for a long time., best, Gerhard