Beginners Luck at Calvert Cliffs

Bjohn170

For my first trip out to Calvert Cliffs for the “Season”, I took my girlfriend out to kayak along the cliffs for her first ever fossil hunting trip in the area. She had gone with me to Douglas Point once before and had good luck, so she was excited to go and see the Calvert Cliffs. We launched around sunrise and did a little leisure kayaking before making our way to the beach, water was a little rough but it was a nice morning. Hunting started slow with only a few small teeth being found, but things started to pick up after I had found two really nice size Hemis the largest being 1.47” and a nice little dolphin tooth. Then while I was searching the waterline I hear her shriek behind me and turn to see her holding her first Megalodon (or chub)! It was sitting right on top of the sand not but a few inches from the base of the cliffs. It measured 2.03” and is in great condition and I couldn’t be more happy for (jealous of) her! Needless to say she is hooked. Being my first trip out since March this gets my hopes up for a great season and I’m looking forward to going out some more over the next few months!

44B785DA-0AA6-4FD0-888A-8F67934B2789.jpeg

53D86011-C99E-46D3-ACA3-D319ED759266.jpeg

2D755FB5-CB67-4255-A1C6-936194E871C4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 13

On June 20th, 2011  I found a Megalodon.  I was a little over 2 inches... I later learned that Megs can frequently,  during  a feeding frenzy, shake loose a tooth and , before the tooth can clear the jaws,  The Meg bites it own tooth...  Here is one,  looks like you found another.  Congrats !!!!

post-2220-0-16906000-1308753330.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

37 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

On June 20th, 2011  I found a Megalodon.  I was a little over 2 inches... I later learned that Megs can frequently,  during  a feeding frenzy, shake loose a tooth and , before the tooth can clear the jaws,  The Meg bites it own tooth...  Here is one,  looks like you found another.  Congrats !!!!

post-2220-0-16906000-1308753330.jpg

That is so interesting! Would that be considered a pathology or feeding damage LOL

Congrats on getting her hooked!! It’s going to make future hunting trips a lot easier for you haha!

Edited by patelinho7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, patelinho7 said:

That is so interesting! Would that be considered a pathology or feeding damage LOL

Feeding Damage !! Just like a missing Tip because the Meg bit into a bone...

On yours, you can see the broken serrations where other same_length teeth came down on opposite sides.  Here is a Snaggletooth... see those scratches, same distance between serrations...  How did they get there?HemiPristisSerraSbyS.jpg.2847cea57eedc72f7f5da5bba24af6af.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

23 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

For my first trip out to Calvert Cliffs for the “Season”, I took my girlfriend out to kayak along the cliffs for her first ever fossil hunting trip in the area. She had gone with me to Douglas Point once before and had good luck, so she was excited to go and see the Calvert Cliffs. We launched around sunrise and did a little leisure kayaking before making our way to the beach, water was a little rough but it was a nice morning. Hunting started slow with only a few small teeth being found, but things started to pick up after I had found two really nice size Hemis the largest being 1.47” and a nice little dolphin tooth. Then while I was searching the waterline I hear her shriek behind me and turn to see her holding her first Megalodon (or chub)! It was sitting right on top of the sand not but a few inches from the base of the cliffs. It measured 2.03” and is in great condition and I couldn’t be more happy for (jealous of) her! Needless to say she is hooked. Being my first trip out since March this gets my hopes up for a great season and I’m looking forward to going out some more over the next few months!

44B785DA-0AA6-4FD0-888A-8F67934B2789.jpeg

53D86011-C99E-46D3-ACA3-D319ED759266.jpeg

2D755FB5-CB67-4255-A1C6-936194E871C4.jpeg

Nice finds.  Well done.

• Thank You 1

Wow, congratulations!!

I almost took my kayak out to what could have been that same beach today, but opted for an inland excursion instead. I found a very nice ecphora, but I think I'd rather take a meg ;)

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, dsaavedra said:

Wow, congratulations!!

I almost took my kayak out to what could have been that same beach today, but opted for an inland excursion instead. I found a very nice ecphora, but I think I'd rather take a meg ;)

Went south out of Plum Point, find less teeth on that beach I’ve noticed, but obviously still some good stuff to be found. Gonna do some more scouting trips this year, I really am gonna need a jet ski or something…

8 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

Went south out of Plum Point, find less teeth on that beach I’ve noticed, but obviously still some good stuff to be found. Gonna do some more scouting trips this year, I really am gonna need a jet ski or something…

Ha, I have been telling my wife just about daily that I want a jet ski. Or at least a 15hp motor for my jon boat. Would really make trips so much easier and open a lot of new ground.

• I Agree 1