Is this a T. Rex tooth?

Toast123

1 inch tooth. Seller says it’s a T. Rex tooth, from what I’ve seen the T. rex teeth are more robust this one looks narrow but I’m not sure. From hell creekIMG_6476.thumb.jpeg.df56f4487a5ca303a4ea5def154fd1ed.jpegIMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.2790871528971a14636bd55497f6aac4.jpegIMG_6479.thumb.jpeg.9663780b7e9c092cfdfbd6b727612085.jpeg

IMG_6478.jpeg

IMG_6477.jpeg

Edited by Toast123

Just now, svcgoat said:

Hard to say, do you know what County its from? Could be Nano

Hell Creek Formation, Powder River, Montana

Its not nano.  Theres no scale for size reference, but looking at the base I would say that there is a good chance it is from the Tyrannosaurid family.  Thats not definite.  Needed info would include length, width, depth and serration densities per mm both mesial and lingual.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

35 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Its not nano.  Theres no scale for size reference, but looking at the base I would say that there is a good chance it is from the Tyrannosaurid family.  Thats not definite.  Needed info would include length, width, depth and serration densities per mm both mesial and lingual.

I suspected nano at first so good to know that’s off the list, here’s the rest of the information i have. 

Dimensions: 1 Inch Long, 0.4 Inches Wide, 0.2 Inches Thick, 0.6 ounces IMG_6481.thumb.jpeg.115a8fcb4ec6328fc6cd0c85c1b494f5.jpeg

Edited by Toast123

I saw that one one. With the total lack of base pinch and the overall size, it has to be Rex. The following may just be speculation, but perhaps the relatively high-looking CHR (especially considering the missing tip) are related to it being a relatively elongated tooth/position on a relatively young individual.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Out of pure desire to improve my dinosaur tooth ID skills, it’s not nano because there’s no base pinch, correct? Is that the main difference between nano and other theropod/tyrannosaur teeth?

51 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Out of pure desire to improve my dinosaur tooth ID skills, it’s not nano because there’s no base pinch, correct? Is that the main difference between nano and other theropod/tyrannosaur teeth?

there can be very small difference in the serration densities and size, but there is a  lot of crossover.  The shape of base as well as the pinch are biggest factors

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

between Nanos being more laterally compressed (including base pinch), they lack the overall cone shape you often see in Rex teeth. Rex teeth often have a fairly unusual appearance of widening all the way down to the base of the crown. Nanos have the more common theropod look of ceasing to widening before the bottom of the base. So more slender in general.

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, Dino Dad 81 said:

between Nanos being more laterally compressed (including base pinch), they lack the overall cone shape you often see in Rex teeth. Rex teeth often have a fairly unusual appearance of widening all the way down to the base of the crown. Nanos have the more common theropod look of ceasing to widening before the bottom of the base. So more slender in general.

Yup! We do see some compression at trex teeth. But nanotyrannus are in general not that thick of teeth. And the slender built indeed.