Mosasaur Tooth ID

Halisaurus

Hello! I got these two new mosasaur tooth and anybody have ideas what kinds or kind do these belong to? Thank you!:Jumping:

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

Edited by Halisaurus

Don't quote me on the 1st one, but the left is probably Pluridens serpentis based on those big folds or ridges towards the base.

The 2nd one on the right is Gavialimimus almaghribensis.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

Don't quote me on the 1st one, but the left is probably Pluridens serpentis based on those big folds or ridges towards the base.

The 2nd one on the right is Gavialimimus almaghribensis.

You're entirely correct. The one on the right is indeed Gavialimimus almaghribensis, based on the pattern of striae running up to midway to two-thirds of the crown-height around the entire circumference of the tooth; it's bicarinate nature; and labiolingual compression; with otherwise smooth enamel.

The tooth on the left is a halisaurine, which is indicated by the bent-link curvature midway up the tooth. The wavy enamel folds around the base then further mark it as Pluridens serpentis rather than Halisaurus arambourgi.

• I found this Informative 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett