Ptychodus IDs? Central Texas

TSCannon

Hi all - found a small outcrop in an area mapped as “Eagle Ford Group and Buda Limestone undivided.” I filled a plastic bag with crumbly matrix and have so far found 2 Ptychodus teeth amongst other shark and fish teeth and fragments. 

Can anyone help narrow down an ID on these two? I’ve also included a photo of some of the matrix I gathered. Curious if anyone can tell the age or more details based on its appearance and the IDs of these teeth.

Thanks!

IMG_9314.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

IMG_9310.jpeg

IMG_9322.jpeg

IMG_9328.jpeg

IMG_9341.jpeg

IMG_9351.jpeg

IMG_9363.jpeg

IMG_9358.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg

IMG_9420.jpeg

IMG_9445.jpeg

IMG_9443.jpeg

IMG_9436.jpeg

IMG_9430.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

IMG_9402.jpeg

IMG_9397.jpeg

IMG_9409.jpeg

IMG_9405.jpeg

IMG_9416.jpeg

IMG_9417.jpeg

IMG_9433.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9219.jpeg

IMG_9222.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Also this month the meeting of the Paleontological Society of Austin (https://www.austinpaleo.org) is going to feature a presentation on a. great Eagle Ford location by one of our members. Ptychodus will certainly be featured. You can get information on the meeting at the web site. Everyone is welcome.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, erose said:

Go to this thread on the FF: 

Thanks. That guide is really helpful. I did read through it and was able to eliminate a few species, but I didn’t feel confident enough in my ID skills to make a solid ID. I know there are a few experienced folks on here and thought someone might recognize the species by sight. 

2 minutes ago, erose said:

Also this month the meeting of the Paleontological Society of Austin (https://www.austinpaleo.org) is going to feature a presentation on a. great Eagle Ford location by one of our members. Ptychodus will certainly be featured. You can get information on the meeting at the web site. Everyone is welcome.

That’s great to hear! I’m a relatively new member, but I actually came to the last meeting and watched the presentation on the museum reopening. Hopefully I can make it to this one too!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Guessing P. anonymous, your site seems to be cenomanian

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

On 10/11/2023 at 10:50 AM, Jared C said:

Guessing P. anonymous, your site seems to be cenomanian

Yes, knowing the age of the formations will really help.

Having the formations helps refine the species because there is often variability within each species. I think JaredC is correct about the Cenomanian age. But, two features of the tooth with the moderate bump at one end, point it towards Ptychodus occidentalis:

(1) The ridges typically run to the marginal edge on lateral file teeth with 7 to 10 ridges.

(2) I often find the rhombic-shaped lateral files have a decent little bump. It is often higher than a Ptychodus anonymous.

The second tooth with flatter top is likely also a Ptychodus occidentalis. But, it is a posterior file tooth with much flatter crown. It is very similar to a P. anonymous. Still, it usually has more ridges (5+ - yours has 6) than a posterior file P. anonymous (3 - 5) and P. anonymous ridges usually don't extend fully to the crown margin like yours does.