Real or fake Pterosaur bone?

• New Members

Hi there!

I bought a pterosaur bone (10 cm/ 0,3937 inch)  . But I'm still doubting, if it's real. Because I had spotted a glued splice on the left end (at the photos)  and I did the lick-test.  At the end of the bones, it was sticky, but the midsection was not. So is one part maybe real and the rest is fake? to look better and complete?

The piece is from Marocco (Kem Kem), and I know, that sellers there are often faking fossils.

Greeting,

Lilian

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

It looks like a real bone, but the ends might be restored. Can’t do much good on identification but I doubt its pterosaur, it’s rather robust. I believe pterosaur bones are very skinny and thin walled. Also I believe the location you were referring to is Morocco 

Edited by Ericlin
  • I Agree 1

wow!!!! measured to the ten thousanth of an inch!  That is about 1/10th the width of a human hair.  

This may sound picayune but can I ask folks to just round off to the nearest tenth (or hundreth) of an inch.  The rest is useless and wrong.  I say wrong because certainly if you measure it again with the super calipers you will get a different last two, maybe three, digits of this number.   

I'll shut up now.

I have seen a few pterosuar bones in my day and I cannot say yeah or nay on this one.  My knowledge is limited.  

Also 10 cm is 3.9 inches not .39.   You really need to see the wall thickness on bone.  Try cleaning up one end

Edited by TyBoy

Looks too robust for pterosaur for me. But I'm no expert, especially not without a cross-section. However, this looks more like a dromeosaur limb bone to me...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett