Bone - needs id

Dina

• New Members

A heavy bone found on Danube river bank. The drought exposed more of the river bank. Heavy bone, dense. Dark brown color. Obvious bony texture. 10 centimeter across, aprox.

No experience in the field, always love to travel in time looking for fossils. From time to time a regular curious for fossilid newer findings. First bone found. Tried to see it as part of a turtle vertebrae but for sure is just my imagination.

Thank you in advance.

FE4FD6BA-CE3A-47B8-898C-487DA467360C.jpeg

DA3516AB-64FD-4D15-BA19-DEF47C24232B.jpeg

3F5F05B6-5C06-4AE3-A66D-B4381110A7E0.jpeg

F020C222-CB02-4549-B7F8-3436EC028FD5.jpeg

I don't recognize the specific bone this is.  I believe this is the end of something larger.  I don't think this is very old in geologic terms, most likely something from the last 10K years or less.  Modern bones can become mineralized quite quickly, even in less than 100 years when they are in a lake or stream.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

This is part of a mammal axis... the second neck vertebra.  It has been worn down in a river, either the modern Danube, or an older river (also possibly the Danube) before it became fossilized.   

• I Agree 1