My Texas Nautiloids: a special one!

Shaun-DFW Fossils

I previously posted my woodbine ammonite collection (calycoceras/conlinoceras). I’ve since sliced 2-3 that were without hope of reflecting external beauty, for lack of a better description as to why. Haha..I find a lot of nautiloids where I live due to proximity to Fort Worth/Grayson formations. Oftentimes, the spots that have mortoniceras ammonites also have occasional nautiloids. I exposed a small amount of crystallization while removing this nautilus, so I experimented with slicing this one. I’m glad I did! What a beauty. I have plenty of whole specimens (some QUITE large) that will stay whole, but this one is unique!

57263311-0804-4F07-ACA8-6711198AFDD0.jpeg

94543F66-8442-4B15-946A-7B6F032DC2BA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice! And it'll be even nicer if you can get it sanded and polished.

Yes! Thank you. Polishing is in process now (along with 3-4 woodbine calycoceras/conlinoceras ammonites) but it will probably be a month before I get them back. My professional fossil prep friend gets mine ready in exchange for me giving him a few of my fossil hunt prizes. I think it’s a good deal..

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

My professional fossil prep friend gets mine ready in exchange for me giving him a few of my fossil hunt prizes. I think it’s a good deal..

I agree. I used to do that for a few people before I had to give up my workshop and it was always worth the trade.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/