Is this a theropod claw?

prehistoricpeasant

Found in the Horse Shoe Canyon formation (Alberta) with several bones including theropod teeth. It has the right shape and size to be a claw. Any ideas? 

About 1 inch long

IMG_5021.jpeg

IMG_5022.jpeg

IMG_5019.jpeg

Edited by prehistoricpeasant
Added picture

7 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I think it's a rock and isn't it illegal to collect fossils in Alberta?

It’s definitely bone, maybe pictures aren’t 100%. It’s legal to surface collect in Alberta as long as it isn’t removed from the province or in a provincial park

7 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I think you're right about the collect of fossils in Alberta and, i, too consider this is a rock.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 minute ago, fifbrindacier said:

I think you're right about the collect of fossils in Alberta and, i, too consider this is a rock.

Just uploaded a picture of the other side.

10 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Just uploaded a picture of the other side.

I see parts that look like they could be bone, but nothing that looks like a claw. Shape isn’t right from 2nd and 3rd photo, no blood groove

• I Agree 1

Just now, patelinho7 said:

I see parts that look like they could be bone, but nothing that looks like a claw. Shape isn’t right from 2nd and 3rd photo, no blood groove

Ok for sure. Thank you!

That would more Lively look like that :

image.png.7b5cbf12498370dbb946d9b6234bf18e.pngimage.png.3f8b7977d26368f629bf2f25f681e997.pngimage.png.b3160176d0cff460852d1f42c914a0f0.png

I understand why you thought it could be a claw.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

First, a note on the legality of this fossil. Alberta has very strict laws pertaining to fossil collection. Fossils may not be removed from the province of Alberta without permission from the government. To gain ownership of a fossil, you must be issued a Disposition Certificate from Alberta's Royal Tyrrell Museum. Only a few fossil types are currently eligible for disposition: mostly ammonites, petrified wood, leaves and fossil oysters.

15 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

First, a note on the legality of this fossil. Alberta has very strict laws pertaining to fossil collection. Fossils may not be removed from the province of Alberta without permission from the government. To gain ownership of a fossil, you must be issued a Disposition Certificate from Alberta's Royal Tyrrell Museum. Only a few fossil types are currently eligible for disposition: mostly ammonites, petrified wood, leaves and fossil oysters.

Yea correct. They cannot be removed from the province 

It looks like poorly preserved bone to me. The site should be reported if bone fragments and teeth were found regardless of the legalities. Have you tried to find the layer they came from ? That is why reporting it could be important. 

• I Agree 1

It seems like a bone fragment that eroded in just the right way to make it look like a claw. The distinguishing feature for claws is the indent running along the length of the claw, this doesn’t seem to have that. 
As long as the bones are surface collected on public land or private land with the owner’s permission, it’s legal. It also seems like you found quite the site! If you wouldn’t mind, can you post some pictures of the theropod teeth you found? I would love to see them!