Jeffrey P

Hi everyone. I found this Upper Cretaceous shark tooth in Ramanessin Brook near Holmdel, New Jersey on Sunday. It is a little over half an inch wide. It appears different than any of my other Cretaceous teeth from New Jersey. My best guess- the common goblin shark: Scapanorhynchis texanus lower lateral. Most of my other goblin shark teeth (and there's many of them) are anterior and upper laterals. I do have some other lower laterals, but the blades are less slanted and taller.  Still, they are the closest in resemblance. Or could it be a different species altogether? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks, and Happy Holidays! Sorry about the poor photo quality. 

IMG_9798.JPG

IMG_9801.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Nice find! I could be completely off - I am still learning much when it comes to shark tooth identification - but could this be Serratolamna serrata? It bears some resemblance to teeth I have found in Maryland that have been identified as such. 

Hi Jeff, I was about to say I was thinking Goblin shark on this one, but I do not see any wrinkles on the blade.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I am fairly confident this is Scapanorhynchus texanus. Along the lingual neck of the tooth (that gap just between the enamel border and the rest of the root), exists vertical bandings that are common for S. texanus. They are usually more pronounced in anterior teeth, so much so that they are referred to as striations that continue from the crown onto the neck/root. As you move distally in the mouth, these striations become fainter and by the time we reach the lateral teeth they are only "bands". Sand tigers, which are most commonly confused with goblins, do not have these striations or bands to my knowledge.

• I found this Informative 2