Small, terrestrial mammal tooth – Pleistocene?

Largemouth Bass

Found on a beach in Westmoreland County, Virginia. Height is approximately 1.3 cm / 0.5 in.

IMG_3093.png

IMG_3092.png

IMG_3094.png

• Enjoyed 2

With the crown broken off as it is, this may be tough to ID.  Certainly beyond my abilities.  What is up with the hole in picture 2 and then in 3 it looks like it was bored into the tooth??

4 hours ago, Largemouth Bass said:

Found on a beach in Westmoreland County, Virginia. Height is approximately 1.3 cm / 0.5 in

I want to make sure I understand.  The 1st photo is one side of the tooth and the combination of root and enamel is 13 mm.

The 2nd photo is the opposite side of the tooth, with damage to the enamel but not the root ?

and the 3rd photo is the chewing surface ? What is the length and width of the chewing surface?

As @ClearLake indicates , these are really hard to identify because most identifications depend almost completely on analyzing the chewing surface.  So, I am going to speculate,  which means almost no basis in fact, and if another member has a better ID, they are likely right.

You found it on a beach, so I'll deal with the possibility that it is a marine mammal,  which cuts down the possibilities a lot.

There is a website named Phatfossils and the owner (3) hunts Lee Creek and posted this find from 2005...

Mel7-31-05Dugong.jpg.19169b688e9eab3b0b0a43fef8796e57.jpg

I wonder if it is possible to find Dugong fossils in Virginia.... Maybe @Al Dente knows.

2023Nov8thDugongMolar.thumb.jpg.a46c671b7b42c8a56bf8f9180ef6483d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If the tooth was found on the  beach in Westmoreland Co, it may have weathered out of the Calvert formation which is prominent there; land mammal teeth have been very rarely found in the Calvert, probably the result of some dead carcass that floated offshore.  Attached are photos of two mammal teeth that I found in the Calvert at Cheasapeake Beach, Maryland.  Look somewhat "piggish/peccaryish" to my eye.  (sorry, but the cm scale didn't photograph well; both are approx. 1.5cm high & 1cm wide).  So, I wouldn't discount the possibility that your find is something very similar.  Also, your tooth is probably Miocene (not Pleistcene) in age if it came from the cliffs along the Potomac River in Westmoreland Co.

DSC_0061_0388_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0062_0389_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0063_0390_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0064_0391_edited-1.jpg

Edited by ted coulianos
  • I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I wonder if it is possible to find Dugong fossils in Virginia.... Maybe @Al Dente knows.

This paper describes one from the Calvert Formation of Maryland and Virginia.

IMG_3086.jpeg

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

This paper describes one from the Calvert Formation of Maryland and Virginia.

IMG_3086.jpeg

Thank you for the present, I remind myself constantly that I stand on the shoulders of giants in continuing my paleontological education. These older research are amazing in quality and detail

CalvertCliffs_DugongMolar_18x13mm.jpg.9a003e6390ab645e465d297f9ffa511b.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

14 hours ago, ClearLake said:

With the crown broken off as it is, this may be tough to ID.  Certainly beyond my abilities.  What is up with the hole in picture 2 and then in 3 it looks like it was bored into the tooth??

Note a very similar hole on the equivalent location in the last photo @ted coulianos provided. Curious.

image.png.2582fdfe1550e8f2829688a9e3e0411f.png

the photo doesn't show it but the hole in the above tooth is due to one of the roots broken off.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, ted coulianos said:

the photo doesn't show it but the hole in the above tooth is due to one of the roots broken off

Ah, very interesting.  Same reason could apply to the original tooth in question I suppose.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It does resemble the illustrated Metaxytherium tooth. Have learned a lot in this thread! :dinothumb:

The crown length is 37 mm and the crown width is 25 mm.

Edited by Largemouth Bass