Fossil snail/Gastropods from the Matoaka Beach Cabins, Maryland

Velociraptor99

Hello, 

I have a few gastropods/snails I found on my trip to Maryland, at the Matoaka Beach Cabins. They are Miocene in age, but I can’t really find anything online for species and genus names. I want to put together a display for an event tomorrow. Could anyone help me ID them please?

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

B77852C3-F134-4505-9108-D77361F1B428.jpeg

892F8A99-C03F-4928-B3C6-E9744B1E1E78.jpeg

02948144-7CD6-4435-A77C-AD4447290789.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

So I see Buccinofusus, Turritella plebia, one of the Moon Snails, guessing Polinices duplicatus but could be Lunatia Heros, Ectphora sp., and Marvacrassatella turgidula. Let me know if you can't figure any out!

You can clean them very, very gently with a toothbrush or better, a painting brush with water. The sediment should wash away quite easily

Edited by bockryan

8 minutes ago, bockryan said:

So I see Buccinofusus, Turritella plebia, one of the Moon Snails, guessing Polinices duplicatus but could be Lunatia Heros, Ectphora sp., and Marvacrassatella turgidula. Let me know if you can't figure any out!

Thank you so much for both posts, bockryan!

I am making my labels in google docs right now so I greatly appreciate it. I have a few more fossils from this display that I don’t recognize fully in the website link you sent me. Including the snail/gastropod I’m holding in the second picture. I have a number of “odd” really small gastropods I found at Matoaka, but in the interest of getting my display done before tomorrow, I’ll ask about IDing them sometime in the future. Attached are all the fossils I’ll be including in my display. I am unsure about much of the clams and oysters. 

As for the display, I’d love to have included some other types of fossils, but I can’t find my few tiny shark teeth, drum fish tooth, and crab claws I found at Matoaka. Thank you for your help!

091EBBA5-F9CD-4AF8-83A1-73CE228FFC63.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

My best guesses on these:

Others likely know more, some very experienced Calvert hunters on here :) 

The small one you're holding is also Buccinofusus I think, just a smaller one. Could be wrong as always 

Another thread with some good info/pictures: 

ID.png

Edited by bockryan

13 minutes ago, bockryan said:

My best guesses on these:

Others likely know more, some very experienced Calvert hunters on here :) 

The small one you're holding is also Buccinofusus I think, just a smaller one. Could be wrong as always 

Another thread with some good info/pictures: 

ID.png

Thank you again! I knew the scallops were Chesapecten, just not the exact species, I have them listed as nefrens right now, but I think I'll change it to Chesapecten sp instead. The astarte shells are hard to identify, so I'll label them Astarte sp, as there are multiple species on the link you sent me earlier. The one oyster next to the ones you IDed is odd, having two "wings" coming off the sides. There are quite a few barnacles there, including one with a turritella(?) attached to two barnacles. And thank you for the for the extra links.