Waccamaw Formation Questions

Kbsib

I’ve been collecting fossils on the beach for several years. Just recently learned this area is part of the Waccamaw formation and most finds are from the Pleistocene time period. I would like to learn more about the Waccamaw Formation. Can anyone suggest particular resources for this area? 

This area? Coastal S.C. is a large expanse of coastline, with many different geologic ages of fossils. Where on the S.C. coast?

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Actually various beaches from lower NC to Folly Beach. I am wanting to learn more about various formations. Tried the Rock’d app but never figured out how to use it. Was hoping information about the Waccamaw region could be a starting point. Thanks

Geolex is always a good starting point to get a sample of some historical reports done on a particular formation, though it does focus more on a unit's stratigraphy than it's paleontology. Still, a lot of times sed/strat and structural reports do talk about a formation's fossils since fossils are an important tool in correlating units and determining their age, especially sedimentary layers. 

When I was starting out the first thing I'd do is just google "[insert formation name] fossils" and see what came up. From there I'd broaden or narrow my search, maybe using certain types of fossils (like trilobites, sharks teeth, etc.), "[insert formation name] stratigraphy", etc. If you're just starting out I'd also recommend picking up a book about your state's/area's geology, if only because it'll go over and define terms you might see mentioned in old reports but have no idea what they mean. Later on, when you start to get a feel for the area's fossils and geology, having that background knowledge can be helpful in determining how old your fossils are if you don't already know. Geologic maps are also good tools, but they can be hard to understand at first. Luckily the bedrock geology in coastal Carolina is fairly simple, but in areas like Appalachia it can get very complex. Pick a good map with lots of colors, and if you see a term you don't know don't be afraid to look it up in your book(s) or google it! After a while you're start to get the hang of it, and you'll be able to read college level theses and understand them. Then the doors really open up, since you can read about their latest sites XD

Geolex — Waccamaw publications (usgs.gov) 

• I found this Informative 1

As for geologic maps, RockD is pretty decent. It does tend to guestimate a lot, and sometimes if a state hasn't done recent mapping it can be outdated (looking at Georgia specifically :shakehead:), but for what it is it's a good first start. If you have any specific questions about how to use it I'd be happy to help.

South Carolina's unfortunately one of the states that hasn't been the best with mapping, so it'll be hard to find a good one out there. There is this interactive one which can tell you the general age of the rocks, but not specific formations. For a formation-specific map you'd either need to rely on RockD, or do some sleuthing online/at a library. 

Interactive map of the geology of South Carolina | American Geosciences Institute

Also, just saw your comment about fossils along different beaches. Not all of the fossils along that stretch of coast come from the Waccamaw. I've found lots of Castle Hayne material from Southport up towards Topsail, and I know others have shown Cretaceous and other fossils that have washed in from local rivers/dredge spoils. The Waccamaw fossils are usually chalky-white shells (mostly bivalves and gastropods). The ones in gray marl/limestone are Castle Hayne for the most part, and are Eocene-aged. 

Edited by EMP

This is fantastic information. You’ve given me a lot of options to begin this journey. 
I’ll have to start with figuring out why the fossils we’ve found have been black and not chalky-white. I’m excited to learn! Thanks so much

I haven’t heard of waccamaw fossils washing up on beaches in SC/NC before unless that’s what produces the Pleistocene fossils on edisto. The waccamaw is a pretty rarely seen and collected from Pleistocene deposit from my knowledge and speaking to other collectors. Most of what is found on folly is from beach renourishment where they happen to dredge a lag deposit layer out of the river and spew it up on the beach. Hence why you find megs. I think Holden had a similar situation. Myrtle is mostly influenced by the Peedee formation which is why Cretaceous fossils are quite common from there. I can’t speak to much else, that’s about all that I know!

• 2 weeks later...