A Whole New World Opened Up - First Family Fossil Hunt!

Mike90

• New Members

Hello everyone,

A whole new world has opened up to me! I had no idea this fascinating hobby was so accessible.

Today, I embarked on an adventure with my children to search for fossils for the first time. We headed to the 2nd Maasvlakte in Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands. We found a few intriguing items, but we’re not entirely sure what they are. I’m hoping you all could help us identify them.

1.    The first item appears to be a vertebra. Based on the photos, can anyone suggest what kind of animal it might have belonged to?
    2.    The second item looks like it could be a tooth, but I might be too hopeful, and it’s just a stone. I’m eager to hear your thoughts.
    3.    The third item is firmly believed by my daughter to be a bone ;-). I was skeptical and thought it might just be a stone, but the two round indentations have me doubting. I promised I would ask here.

We would greatly appreciate any information or guidance you can provide. Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,

Michael

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5532.jpeg

Edited by Mike90
  • Enjoyed 3

• Mike90 changed the title to A Whole New World Opened Up - First Family Fossil Hunt!

I would say, the vertebra belongs to an horse or bison/cow. The second find is an unidentifieable bone fragment, no tooth and the last find is a limestone rock, sadly no fossil. But nice finds !

Edited by Brevicolis

Are good signatures really that important ?

• New Members
58 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

I would say, the vertebra belongs to an horse or bison/cow. The second find is an unidentifieable bone fragment, no tooth and the last find is a limestone rock, sadly no fossil. But nice finds !

Thank you so much for your response! That's a bit less spectacular than I had hoped for, haha ;-)

Very good for your first outing!  The second bone might be a hoof core. 

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Congratulations on your first foray into a great, family, hobby! Tell your daughter not to worry. They'll become fast learner's. Mine are finding fossils faster than me.:heartylaugh: