Elephant tusk fossil ID

HuracanQiui

• New Members
Posted (edited)

Hi all, here is an elephant tusk section from Polk County, Florida. What type of elephant can it be?

Edited by HuracanQiui

I am not seeing any Schreger lines, which would indicate that this is NOT a tusk,  to me.

Better pictures of the broken ends would be required to ascertain if there are Schreger lines present.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 073633.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Colombian Mammoth would be Florida’s primary mammoth.  That looks different from the other tusk fragments I’ve seen. 

Jp

• I Agree 2

The edges look interesting, but I agree that more high quality detailed pictures would be needed to make any kind of determination.  I can't see any visible Schreger lines in this picture to indicate mammoth or elephant tusk.

• I Agree 1

Actually looks a bit like flowstone, to me.  :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members
On 4/11/2024 at 8:58 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Actually looks a bit like flowstone, to me.  :unsure:

Thank you! I will return this to the seller. The seller insisted that this is a part of a tusk and said that "what you have is worn down, not polished."

Schreger lines become obscured in stream-worn ivory.  These lines are best seen in raw surfaces -- fresh breaks, for example.  The OP has not provided enough information (images) to say this is not elephantoid ivory.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 4/11/2024 at 1:11 AM, HuracanQiui said:

Hi all, here is an elephant tusk section from Polk County, Florida. What type of elephant can it be?

IMG_9710.mov

Pentrified wood..

Edited by MuckyBottles

Loathe as I am to download image files, I just opened the OP's .mov file.  I am confident that the object is elephantoid tusk -- gomphothere, mammoth, or mastodon.

What seest thou else

• New Members
6 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Loathe as I am to download image files, I just opened the OP's .mov file.  I am confident that the object is elephantoid tusk -- gomphothere, mammoth, or mastodon.

Could you please give your reasoning?

There is nothing else it can be from Polk County.  The delamination, the fracturing, the shape, the stream-wear, all suggest ivory.  The bleaching may indicate it's from the phosphate in Polk County.  If so, the ivory would be from gomphothere or mastodon, not mammoth which is too late.  The shell pits in South Florida produce bleached shells, but not bleached mammal traces.

• I found this Informative 4

What seest thou else

Like Harry, I also don't typically open the video files.  Wish I had in this case. Sorry about that.

I agree that the video makes the delamination and layers clearer than the still shot did. It does look like tusk to me.  It's just vastly different colored from the material I find in my area.  But I think Harry has explained that. 

I think I even saw a few Schreger lines on the opposite end from the one in the still shot.

1 hour ago, HuracanQiui said:

Could you please give your reasoning?

Pictures allow for way better capturing and thus viewing of details, video is horrible for identification.

• New Members
On 4/14/2024 at 3:53 PM, R0b said:

Pictures allow for way better capturing and thus viewing of details, video is horrible for identification.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:24 PM, Brandy Cole said:

Like Harry, I also don't typically open the video files.  Wish I had in this case. Sorry about that.

I agree that the video makes the delamination and layers clearer than the still shot did. It does look like tusk to me.  It's just vastly different colored from the material I find in my area.  But I think Harry has explained that. 

I think I even saw a few Schreger lines on the opposite end from the one in the still shot.

Here you go!

11713279290_.pic_hd.jpg

21713279293_.pic_hd.jpg

The lighting/glare, color of the specimen and the stream worn polish are making it tough to see whats going on in your specimen...I think I see them as well.

How about wetting it and maybe rephotograph??...You are looking for this kind of cross hatched pattern in the layering as I've highlighted in a piece below that I have below...The 2nd photo shows large areas where they are readily visible and much where they arent..Once you find them someone can take the measurement of the angle and then tell which animal it came from...! Theres a chart showing the numbers.. Your photograph needs be looking perpendicular to the end of the specimen like in your photos looking directly at the angles in the layers to get the most accurate measurement... 

Two shots of my specimen for reference: 

tusksectionshowingSchreggerlines.thumb.jpg.5228a1d7222d7b8f2d0f1b8f41c50293.jpg

tusksectionshowingSchreggerlinesb.jpg.e2d72f0dd8fc1addcd9386e455e71bab.jpg

As Harry already said look at the fresh areas/ broken areas in your specimen like the red arrows I added point to ...You might also be able to see them in the other/worn areas when its wet..maybe not..

possibletuskwithareastolookat.jpg.3b371a90c1a9d34f49c8d15faa488164.jpg

Good luck!! 

Regards, Chris 

Here are the areas that looked like they might have Schreger lines to me.  Sadly, my arrows are much more rustic than Chris's.

Screenshot_20240416-200040~3.png