TheFloridaHerper

• New Members

Hi all, 

my first post here.

I found this jaw section with a split tooth in a river in Columbia Co. FL. I assume some sort of canid but unsure. Let me know!

188CFD01-C82E-4EE7-A8B0-2AD75C690EA0.jpeg

2534C704-CFFB-4B3E-B002-CAE84991386A.jpeg

065D3BD3-301F-46D8-9ECA-BC1879C16B67.jpeg

101BC63A-3639-4C7C-B4F2-22C981D26C4F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Welcome, nice find! That’s a dance around a little bit find. 

It’s late around here. The guy you want is out fossil hunting something like 4 days this week. So might take a minute to respond.

@Shellseeker is your guy. @Harry Prististoo. 

The size will basically determine the species if it is indeed canind. Measuring and adding the length of the tooth from front to back of what’s left will be really important. So you can get that out of the way beforehand. You’ll use your measurement of that section against the various species like Dire Wolf, Grey Wolf, coyote, modern dog etc. 

Welcome and enjoy the forum. If you don’t wanna wait just start reading threads for fire wolf ID’s and you find the specs your after multiple times. 

Jp

32 minutes ago, TheFloridaHerper said:

I found this jaw section with a split tooth in a river in Columbia Co. FL. I assume some sort of canid but unsure. Let me know!

Welcome to TFF,  Great place for fossil hunters...

Let's think this out... This is a Dire Wolf lower jaw..  The big tooth is the m1 and it has that big hunker root (like your tooth) under the left side of the m1.  Our job is to measure accurately the size of the tooth you found. Canids in Florida are Identified by the length of their bigger teeth. Bigger canid = longer m1.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.606485e7677638cd1958b0626454e634.jpg

Here is your find.. What is the length in millimeters of the distance between the blue lines ?065D3BD3-301Fce.thumb.jpg.b919a2d45e11557bcd8cf3d7c8bbab4a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This photo might help you do your own comparison:

gallery_23_580_15312.jpg.39ca033ae22c513de4d55cf9b38278d0.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members
Posted (edited)

That length is 10mm, the root itself is 6mm wide. @Shellseeker

Edited by TheFloridaHerper

10 hours ago, TheFloridaHerper said:

That length is 10mm, the root itself is 6mm wide. @Shellseeker

The last photo is about 30 mm, so you have a third of a Dire Wolf m1. Only likely canids are dire wolf, coyote, dog. Time for Harrys expertise if he sees this

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members
1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

The last photo is about 30 mm, so you have a third of a Dire Wolf m1. Only likely canids are dire wolf, coyote, dog. Time for Harrys expertise if he sees this

Could it potentially be the P3 or P4 molar? I’ve looked at photos of some other jaw fossils and it seems more like a split in half pre molar? But you probably also know way more than I do. 

2 hours ago, TheFloridaHerper said:

Could it potentially be the P3 or P4 molar? I’ve looked at photos of some other jaw fossils and it seems more like a split in half pre molar? But you probably also know way more than I do. 

Upper molars from maxilla have "capital"  letters...

Canis-dirus-3Maxilla.jpg.5d944fdc081e6b750fd30549ef0157bd.jpg

This is a p4 lower jaw for Dire wolf

IMG_5230text.thumb.jpg.b13cc8324f6ce1ff58744fbc2257b659.jpg

'Herper has the right idea.  This fragment has contours unlike a canid m1 and more like an incisor -- a p3 is my guess.  The wear is unusual . . . might be from a broken tooth or a senile individual.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest