Headlamp recommendations?

nerdsforprez

• New Members

GM everyone, 

When searching for sharks teeth, it is often helpful to have a good head lamp, even in the day.  The light reflects off the enamel.  Obviously, good to have one for night/early morning digs as well.  

Being a beginner, I have taken our hiking headlamps when I dig.  But they are weak.  Prob. no more than 1500 lumens.  ANyone have headlamp recommendations out there?   I would think 50,000 lumens and above at least. What do others use? 

TB 

I would think there would be diminished returns at some point. I'm also not sure I've seen a headlamp available quite that bright.  I have a 1700 lumen Fenix headlamp that lights a back fence about 250ft away quite clearly and I estimate easily up to 400ft (in spotlight mode vs flood light mode) so I would think that would be more than enough. I would probably say to prioritize battery life per charge over lumens after that point.

Edited by FB003
  • I found this Informative 1

*Frank*

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Headlamp recommendations?
  • New Members
3 hours ago, FB003 said:

I would think there would be diminished returns at some point. I'm also not sure I've seen a headlamp available quite that bright.  I have a 1700 lumen Fenix headlamp that lights a back fence about 250ft away quite clearly and I estimate easily up to 400ft (in spotlight mode vs flood light mode) so I would think that would be more than enough. I would probably say to prioritize battery life per charge over lumens after that point.

Appreciate the FB.  A cursory search on Amazon revealed a HL of 900,000 lumens!  I have one in my cart that is just over 20$ that is 50,000 lumens and 50 hours of battery life.  

I'll await others FB but would think you are right.  But I do know, that my 1500 lumen HL was far to weak when searching in the day.  And those that I have gone with in the past, who are much more experienced than I, search with lamps even in the day (we search creeks, where there are many shadowed areas).  

• I found this Informative 1