Shellseeker

Amazingly out hunting today.  Why amazing ? My pretty constant hunting partner told me over and over that he could not go hunting again before Tuesday.  He called about 7 pm last night.  Fortunately for me,  he can resist anything except temptation!

We were going back to a location where we had previously found small colorful shark teeth. I have frequently said that finding 200+ small shark teeth should be possible on lots of locations on the Peace River. We generally hunt 5-6 hours, and I can process about 6 sieves an hour. That means I need to average 6-7 teeth per sieve in order to find 200 small teeth. 

I did not reach that number today because I was finding only 3-4 small shark teeth per sieve.

IMG_6952ce.thumb.jpg.9c95aa732af9fa173be16b69bc05c0e2.jpg

A couple of Meg frags upper left... The bigger complete teeth tended to be Hemis, Tigers, Lemons...

Generally,  I find little teeth while waiting for something bigger,  more impressive..IMG_6953ce.thumb.jpg.2291872c71e6fa1ee5be4e681464e26b.jpg

Sometimes ... more impressive does not always turn out to be "impressive".  That is a process from a dugong vert at upper right. There are some Mammoth and Equus tooth fragments, the nub of a deer antler, a number of seashells transformed to Silica,  two Alligator teeth (Big and Little).  Here is Bigger...

2024May5th_Alligator_Tooth.thumb.jpg.722010a8b4f05f1cdc448a3438a28042.jpg

and a fragment of a Dolphin jaw... Just based on small size, this is likely from a small river Dolphin.  Looks like there are alveoli for 5-6 teeth... I frequently imagine going to the Phosphate mines and finding one with teeth still attached. That would be something...

2024May5th_Dolphin_jawbone.thumb.jpg.2e0d54a6dc0534f238c34ba149b95761.jpg

Finally,  I like to show the "oddballs".. Sometimes I find Shrimp burrows... They come in all shapes and sizes... This one is not very long.. 

In my 2nd photo above,  I show some shells that have been transformed to silica versions...

Here is an example where the inside of a shrimp is transformed.  How does that happen. Does anyone have examples of an entire shrimp burrow has been transformed ? Below is some exciting finds where a Barnacle has been transformed to Silica... but a shrimp burrow...?

2024May5th_Shrimp_burrow.thumb.jpg.d9d3799d7d202c456ae385477fcbba6e.jpg

Barnacles...

2023May8th_Silicified_Barnacle.thumb.jpg.8112d66eac9a7436d5d7667895593ab4.jpg

another

2024Mar31st_BarnacleT.thumb.jpg.8b84a09615d03eeced1fcc0a0247b435.jpg

Enjoy... Jack

• Enjoyed 13

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack:thumbsu:ill take those bone valley colors every chance I get. 

• I Agree 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Beautiful finds and congrats on the nice haul. I notice some ray plates in the mix and was wondering if you find them in a large variety of color like the sharks teeth?

6 hours ago, Elmo said:

Beautiful finds and congrats on the nice haul. I notice some ray plates in the mix and was wondering if you find them in a large variety of color like the sharks teeth?

Only occasionally .  There are a couple of Ray teeth that are just the normal black that dominate the colors in the Peace River. At this location, the rock/gravel tends to be light brown, almost all of the urchin spines are cream color and a few of the Ray teeth are two toned just like the shark teeth. 

Focus on this section on this section of the photo.

IMG_6952ceColor.jpg.cbcbd3449a2a698756082738df6ad8bf.jpg

As you see, a shark tooth can have many colors,  Ray teeth can be black, or most likely uni_color tan/cream similar to colors of the gravel,  and once in a while sort of silver and reddish_brown. I love the diversity but have not thought too much about how that diversity is created, 

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Only occasionally .  There are a couple of Ray teeth that are just the normal black that dominate the colors in the Peace River. At this location, the rock/gravel tends to be light brown, almost all of the urchin spines are cream color and a few of the Ray teeth are two toned just like the shark teeth. 

Focus on this section on this section of the photo.

IMG_6952ceColor.jpg.cbcbd3449a2a698756082738df6ad8bf.jpg

As you see, a shark tooth can have many colors,  Ray teeth can be black, or most likely uni_color tan/cream similar to colors of the gravel,  and once in a while sort of silver and reddish_brown. I love the diversity but have not thought too much about how that diversity is created, 

Most of them around here are black and occasionally I’ve found one that is brownish. I’m looking at places that’ll give me a chance to pick up some variety when I take future vacations. It looks like the Peace River area will be a good spot to try in the coming years.