A First For New York

mikeymig

I entered this specimen in the fossil of the month for July and it lost but I found out today that its a much bigger winner with distinction. I posted photos of the Brittle Star on my facebook page and was informed that a Dr. Fred Hotchkiss of the marine paleobiological research institute might be able to help in identification. I sent him photos and he got back to me and said "As far as I am aware, it is a new record for this formation and locality". He went on to say that "Furcaster has a fairly extensive fossil record from Ordovician to Permian on several continents, but yours is a first for the NY Devonian". I never found a first for New York before!

I also found out from George McIntosh of the Rochester Museum and Science Center that the crinoid on the plate isnt a Logocrinus and he refused to speculate. After a long examination under the microscope and a lot of hmmms and huhs, he couldnt ID it. Thats also a first for me, to stump George on a Crinoid ID. I have posted before about this specimen on the FF, but wanted to share in the latest update about it.

mikey

551931_338812899543156_1531197732_n.jpg

602519_326201360804310_625337708_n.jpg386932_338813072876472_201559661_n.jpg

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Congrats, you are having some amazing finds this year, sure wish I could get down to hunt with you some time this year but time seems to be running out.........

Congrats, you are having some amazing finds this year, sure wish I could get down to hunt with you some time this year but time seems to be running out.........

Why does it seem that time is running out? Your not wanted are you? ;) I collect spring, summer, fall, and winter. You can collect your own Dalmanites this winter if you want.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

You got me there.....

I am not particulaarly a cold weather person Come end of October till end of March I have not thought much about collecting.... perhaps I need an attitude ajustment......

You got me there.....

I am not particulaarly a cold weather person Come end of October till end of March I have not thought much about collecting.... perhaps I need an attitude ajustment......

...or a latitude adjustment? Go south, young man!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations, Mikey!

I agree with Malcomt - Your collecting finds this year have been amazing.

And the "first" should take the sting out of the FOM loss. ;)

Congratulations again.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes but I generally go to Mexico and that is definately a no fossil hunting country........

Yes but I generally go to Mexico and that is definately a no fossil hunting country........

Am I the only one to see the flaw in this plan? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Mikey,

Congratulations on what turns out to be anyone's Fossil of the Year!

That thing is beautiful, and you do such great prep work.

Congratulations on the awesome find :envy:

Robert
Southeast, MO