The Essence In Details

RomanK

Lepidophloios - young branch

post-814-0-61903500-1352059590_thumb.jpg

First ID version: Lepidophloios acerosus Linley and Hutton

Quote from Thomas

post-814-0-48497200-1352875199_thumb.jpg

Second ID verssion: It might be the Sublepidophloios Sterzel (Hopping 1956), cause has a leaf cusion shape like Lepidodendron...

"Sublepidophloios Sterzel - is a genus of lepidodendriod stems that have some intermediate characters between the very much more common general Lepidodendron Sternberg and Lepidophloios Sternberg. Sterzel’s original illustrations show that the leaf cushions his new species Lepidophloios hahenbachensis have the overall elongated shape of Lepidodendron but that their central portions, bearing the leaf scars, bulge outwardly and downwardly as in Lepidophloios. After re-examining Sterzel’s illustrations and a number of specimens we are confident that Sublepidophloios is a discrete genus. Some of these specimens are adpressions while others are three dimensionally in clay ironstone giving a clear picture of their leaf cushions as they must have appeared in life. Although this genus is intermediate in characters between Lepidodendron and Lepidophloios we make no suggestion that it is an intermediary stage in an evolutionary sequence from Lepidodendron to Lepidophloios. Indeed, it is more likely that it is not".

B.A. Thomas.and Y. Tenchov - A new look at Sublepidophloios Sterzel

Edited by RomanK

Your photos are excellent. Please post a little about the equipment/technique you use in producing them.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Your photos are excellent. Please post a little about the equipment/technique you use in producing them.

Hi snolly50! Thank you for your comment. I use quite simple and old digital camera Kodak C360 in macro mode as a rule for the fossil shoting. Second thing I use the binocular optical microscope to make a close up. For that micro picture I use Nicon coolpix L3 digital camera which is quite simple and cheap as well but has a small objective diameter corresponded to the microscope eyepiece and I just put camera back-to-back to the microscope to take a picture. If you work under the bright sunlight you have no need to improve your picture. For some particular cases you would need the Photoshop or other image editor. That's all. Regards, Roman

post-814-0-54167100-1352062335_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Yes, excellent photograpy, and thank you for sharing your technique.

Also, congratulations on your specimen with the overlapping leaf cushions. You certainly know your stuff! :)

That's a really neat picture of the site, too.

Steve

Yes, excellent photograpy, and thank you for sharing your technique.

Also, congratulations on your specimen with the overlapping leaf cushions. You certainly know your stuff! :)

That's a really neat picture of the site, too.

Thank you Steve!

post-814-0-06328500-1352104798_thumb.jpg

Roman... Thats a first for me to... Great finds as usual...I have never noticed overlapping leaf cushions like that before... Is this naturally occuring or could it be due to some twisting during compaction of the trunk during the fossilisation process?...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roman... Thats a first for me to... Great finds as usual...I have never noticed overlapping leaf cushions like that before... Is this naturally occuring or could it be due to some twisting during compaction of the trunk during the fossilisation process?...

Thank you Steve! I guess it was a natural process. As known some Lycopsids can drop their leaf cusions with age (for inst., Diaphorodendron), but there are the interfoliar parichnos at the cusions, so it's not Diaphorodendron and looks like classical L. aculeatum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roman,

excellent photography, and thank you very mutch for sharing of your technique.

Also congratulation on your specimen with the overlapping leaf cushions.

best regards

Ronald