Fossil Pectinidae Of The World (Scallops)

Pectenman

Hello from naples, Florida. I am researching the fossil pectinidae of the world. I am not only looking for pectens for my studies but also any information from different scientific journals regarding the subject.

I currently have over 300 species of fossil pecten and am always willing to help with identifications

i find a bunch in the tar river. wanna see some?

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Welcome to the Forum :)

That seems a most interesting research subject!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome from Washington!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

great timing! i have a few texas campanian neithea and pecten in need of ID. will pm pix.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Welcome from Missouri.

We find a few type of pectens here in the Pennsylvanian. Most are Aviculopecten, but there are a couple others that I'm not sure of the id.

Context is critical.

Welcome from NC! Share some of your specimens, show us some pic's please. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Hi, welcome from south Australia . I hit on a treasure trove of pectens about a month ago , would love help with ID.

Also please post your treasures, would love to see them.

Edited by Batty

Hi Pectenman, hello from over on the west side.....

Looking forward to seeing some of the collection. When I was in Northern Calfornia picking pectens decades ago, I had this old reference classic...Tertiary and Quaternary Pectens of California.... http://ia600303.us.archive.org/18/items/tertiaryquaterna00arno/tertiaryquaterna00arno.pdf

I'll have to go looking...I think I may still have some from out there that were never identified...will pm you if I ever track them down...

Welcome! Regards Chris

Welcome from Vancouver Island... Glad to have you - I find this little pectenid in my local Santonian Haslam Fm (same age as Uintacrinus), Nanaimo Group. I don't know if I have any specimens decent enough that they can be identified or whether I can get good enough pics but will try.. Might take a bit of time though, but will see you around the forum?

Welcome! I found a pecten recently in the chalk but alas it was broken in 6 sections and has some shell missing. Not quite done on the prep/put back together job yet but it is getting there.

post-4683-0-30506300-1374260863_thumb.jpg

Regards,

This seems to be evolving into a 'Show Your Pectens' thread. :)

Here are a couple from the Pennsylvanian....

Aviculopecten sp.

Winterset Limestone:

post-6808-0-19963700-1374271438_thumb.jpg

Aviculopecten sp.

Liberty Memorial Shale:

post-6808-0-49816000-1374271439_thumb.jpg

Fasciculoconcha(?) sp.

Winterset Limestone:

post-6808-0-13186700-1374271437_thumb.jpg

Undetermined

Westerville Limestone:

post-6808-0-03501700-1374271436_thumb.jpg

All are from the Kansas City metro.

Context is critical.

• 4 weeks later...

i find a bunch in the tar river. wanna see some?

Yes I am always looking to learn any information on different locations that pectens are found in. I can also trade fossils from Florida for pecten specimens. Please let me know if you study any special genus or family and if I can help with your study i would be happy to help

Al DeMartino

Welcome to the Forum :)

That seems a most interesting research subject!

It is quite a puzzle but after collecting recent specimens for over 30 years i now need to look to the past to unravel the mystery of this genera. Always looking for information or specimens. Even the small pieces of the puzzle are important

Al DeMartino

Welcome from Washington!

I have several specimens from Washington and many of the US Geological Survey publications which are helpful in identification. I am always looking for smaller specimens. I have studied the recent specimens from your area and now am trying to trace the family tree for each area down through the ages

Al DeMartino

Welcome from Missouri.

We find a few type of pectens here in the Pennsylvanian. Most are Aviculopecten, but there are a couple others that I'm not sure of the id.

Send me some photos and I will see what i can do to help. The aviculopectens are confusing and there is a lot of synonomy. I have a few of the older publications in my library on the aviculopectens from your area. Always happy to help. Also please let me know if the are any genera you study and if i have some I will gladly help with your research

Al DeMartino

Welcome from NC! Share some of your specimens, show us some pic's please. :)

I am working on a series of photographs with identifications that i would love to share with the forum. Please let me know if there are any families that you study and if I have them in my collection I would be happy to help. I have collected here in florida for over 30 years.

Al DeMartino

Welcome from PA! :)

I am from Pittsburgh and still manage to get back once or twice a year. There are some aviculopectns that come from PA. Always interested in anyphotos or information you may have

Al DeMartino